questions about LORs

larry burns

questions about LORs

Post by larry burns » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:03 am

a
Last edited by larry burns on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

kroner

Re: questions about LORs

Post by kroner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm

I don't think anyone here is going to be able to make a specific choice from your list. The advice I've heard from professors is that the most important factor in a good rec is the recommender's level of familiarity with your work, so that they can actually say something meaningful about it (although obviously first and foremost they should have a favorable impression of you). Notability is probably the next factor. Relevance to the specific field you're applying in is probably less important, but I think I would go with the academic options over the non-academic ones.

larry burns

Post by larry burns » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:12 pm

a
Last edited by larry burns on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

vttd

Post by vttd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Go with the one that is most familiar with your work. If you ask a professor who has no idea who you are, chances are his/her letter is not going to be very good. Also I don't think you should base your decision on whether or not your professor has "just" a MS or a PhD. Your recommenders probably do not want to reread all of your lab reports either. Send them your final project report and your CV and transcript. That's probably all they need, that is after you they agree to write you the letter.