What to do about a 3rd letter

newslick

What to do about a 3rd letter

Post by newslick » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:19 am

So to sum it up, I have a MS degree in physics from a US institution (fairly well regarded physics program, ranks in the mid-50s). I will be re-applying to schools this coming fall (2022) and am a bit stuck as to who I should have write my 3rd LoR. The two letter writers I'm set on thus far are my MS research advisor (this will be a strong letter) and my undergraduate research advisor (also should be strong/research oriented). My research is in the realm of plasma astrophysics BTW. The people I have to choose from are:

(1) Undergraduate astronomy/planetary science professor: I had two classes with her; she has a very high opinion of me; she wrote one of my letters the first time I applied to grad school (and I got into places so it couldn't have been terrible).

(2) My current boss: I work at a job where we do technical work and testing on explosive devices. He made me a lecturer for our educational course we give and I do a lot of lab work. He also has a very high opinion of me. He has a PhD in physics (from Harvard) and I'm sure he'd write a very strong letter (he is not affiliated with astronomy in any way).

(3) Graduate school professor who I was a TA for: I was a TA for one of her astronomy courses, I think I did a very good job as a TA (considering I didn't have much in-depth knowledge of that particular area of astronomy). I don't really know what her opinion is of me, but I'd assume it would be fairly good. I did not have her for an actual class nor did I do any research work with her. She is pretty well known in her area of work, though.

I think (1) or (2) would be best. I'm concerned that my boss not being an astronomer or a professor might be a negative thing. I just don't really know. Should I use that optional 4th letter that some universities allow? If so, who should I use as the definite 3rd letter, since not all universities allow 4 letters?

flut34

Re: What to do about a 3rd letter

Post by flut34 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:52 pm

My first instinct is to go with professors. Since 1 sounds really good, I would go with that and do the 4th letter with 2. But are you applying for fall 2023?

newslick

Post by newslick » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:37 pm

flut34 wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:52 pm
My first instinct is to go with professors. Since 1 sounds really good, I would go with that and do the 4th letter with 2. But are you applying for fall 2023?
Thanks for the advice. I was leaning toward that idea as well. Yes, I’ll be applying this fall to start in fall of 2023.

flut34

Post by flut34 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:44 am

In that case, you have nearly 10 months to get an additional LOR or to perhaps improve your LORs. Be strategic and consider what you could do from now until November to improve your LORs. Perhaps a new position with a professor in the field you want to specialize in? Maybe an RA position from now until then? Work on a paper or project that is part of the field you want to focus on during your PhD? You have so much time and it seems you are in a really comfortable position to have great LORs. Now you should think about how to solidify why you are a great candidate for a PhD.

newslick

Post by newslick » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:33 am

flut34 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:44 am
In that case, you have nearly 10 months to get an additional LOR or to perhaps improve your LORs. Be strategic and consider what you could do from now until November to improve your LORs. Perhaps a new position with a professor in the field you want to specialize in? Maybe an RA position from now until then? Work on a paper or project that is part of the field you want to focus on during your PhD? You have so much time and it seems you are in a really comfortable position to have great LORs. Now you should think about how to solidify why you are a great candidate for a PhD.
I am continuing to work on my masters project with my advisor and writing a paper that we can hopefully get published (or at least submitted before the end of the year). I have contacted a few local professors who work in my area of interest (unfortunately, there are very few of them) to see if they would like help with anything; No luck so far. I did move back to the general area where my undergrad university is, so I was thinking about asking person (1) in my list if she would be willing to do a small project sometime before the end of the year. However, she doesn't work in my area (she is more in the planetary science realm of things). It still might be good though; then she can write a research focused letter.