Letter writer is late

hopefulastro

Letter writer is late

Post by hopefulastro » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:59 am

I had a couple applications due yesterday, and one of my letter writers still hasn't submitted any of his letters. I emailed him that morning with a reminder (I had sent other reminders in the past too), and he replied saying he will get it done. However those deadlines have passed and it hasn't been submitted yet. Additionally, I have 3 more due tomorrow.

I'm just wondering how big of a deal this is? Will this potentially affect my application? I also saw on one of the department's websites that the application materials must be received by the 13th (along with the rest of the app) in order to be considered for a fellowship. Is it possible that I really will be dropped from consideration for fellowships if a letter is late? Or since committees generally don't start reviewing apps until January, do I have nothing to worry about assuming he submits it by then?

ES

Re: Letter writer is late

Post by ES » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:28 am

I am facing the same problem as well. My prof didn't submit letters that were due two weeks ago. ugh!!

I noticed that some schools are fine with letters and test scores being a week or two late so I guess it isn't that bad. However some places review the applications once they arrive so an unfinished application might be a bad thing :cry:

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:11 am

Don’t worry. It’ll be fine.

The warnings of the deadlines need to be written formally, so that they can start reviewing applications right after the deadline if they want to. However, they are fully aware that professors’ punctuality aren’t completely within the applicants’ control, so there’s a little legroom there. Just don’t count too much on it and have it submitted 1 month late.

A week or two should be fine, but you should keep reminding your professor. Maybe drop by his office? Emails may not be responded when busy.

Since the professor is aware of the deadline, the fact that your prof hasn’t submitted means he knows that the system typically allows him to do so. (Unless he plans to sabotage you, but why would he?)

rjones21

Post by rjones21 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:15 am

If the deadline is Dec. 15 the letter writer could still theoretically submit today