prospectiv grad stud from abroad - how to get funding?

Post Reply
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 pm

prospectiv grad stud from abroad - how to get funding?

Post by arlekin » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:02 pm


I'm soon to graduate from college in Croatia, mathematics and physics. The idea is get to some graduate physics program in the States.

Since I am pennyless, I was wondering how much money do I need for first year of grad school. The choices would be a college somewhere in California (sun needed, hehehe).

Is there a school wich is wiling to pay all of my tutition and tax expenses?
The problem is that I don't have any insurance money. 30,000 or 40,000 $ is so much money.

I'm quite talented in physics, especially in computing and similar stuff.

As I see, most of the grad students can earn 10,000-15,000$ tutoring or assisting. But, since I'm not from the States this would be impossible for me in the first few months. That is probably one of mine biggest concerns. Anyway, if I understand correctly, that money can barley cover those, before mentioned, expenses. What will I eat (if I get anywhere) and where will I live?
Pff, maybe I'm better of staying home and surfing the net. Who needs another physicist anyway.

I don't want to get in to some top school, since i don't find myself in that class. Just want to get some quallity education.

Any advice needed!

Thanks! :(

Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:39 pm


Post by krymelchen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:03 am

You could try to get a fellowship in your country for studying in the US, which would probably pay for one year. That would be best. If this is not possible you can apply anyway and hope for full coverage of all costs. I think some universities offer full funding for all regular degree students they accept (I am german and got a TA offer from Maryland). If you get fulltime TA or RA I thinkyou should be able to live with this money. You wont get rich and you probably cant support a family but living alone should be possible (they offered me 20 000 /year plus tuition). But their are limitations in the visa procedure. When applying for a visa you have to show you have all the money for tuition plus living expences for your study period. So you need proof of a fellowship/ TA or RA offer plus tuition waiver before applying for the US visa. You are also forbidden to work off campus. And even applying costs money. You have to do Toefl, general gre, subject gre and each costs around 150 USD. Then you have to pay an application fee to each university. In this forum you get the impression that a lot of students apply to 10 different universities. Each fee is around 50-100USD. And furthermore with ETS you have only 3 or so free score reports. If you apply to more universities you have to pay for additional score reports. So you should plan for at least 1000 USD for applying. You could try to get a Fulbright scholarship in Croatia (normally deadlines are in May) , when you can accept that you are not entirely free in choosing the university and you do not mind leaving the US after your PhD. They also pay for application fees.
So I wish you good luck. Prepare good for the subject gre, Americans seem to be crazy over their mutiple choice tests.

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Post by arlekin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, they do like multiple choices:)

20 000 + tutition is very nice. Is it common to get a deal like that one?

Well, I would be satisfied with a decent school int the part of the country where the climate is not too rough. Chicago seems nice, California...

Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Post by jobias » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Why don't you try this university?

Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:31 pm

Post by arlekin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:58 pm

Frankly, I would like to go somewhere abroad. USA preferebly.

Post Reply