Funding for 1 year => F1 Visa (q. esp for Int students)

darkmav

Funding for 1 year => F1 Visa (q. esp for Int students)

Post by darkmav » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone can answer the following query: if you're admitted to some grad school as a Research Assistant with an assured stipend of 1 year, followed by the option to either switch groups and finalize funding yourself, or continue to work in the same group with an assured funding, does it make things difficult at the US Embassy to get an F1 visa? I'm concerned that assured funding for only 1 year will affect my visa application.

I'd appreciate hearing especially from international students who have faced similar issues.

Thanks!

kroner

Re: Funding for 1 year => F1 Visa (q. esp for Int students)

Post by kroner » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:19 pm

I don't know much about this stuff (not international), but it sounds like you have the option of assured funding if you stick with that specific research group. Is that right? In that case there's no risk of you running out of money since you can take that offer if you want, which I think is what the visa people would be concerned about.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm

int. student here. many of the acceptances come with i year financial aid. and upon satisfactory performance the university will extend it. embassy might just check your I-20 for first year coverage.

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks everyone.

tresher

Post by tresher » Thu May 27, 2010 5:15 am

Does anybody know when universities start sending visa related documents to international students? Do they send these docs by email or post?

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:46 am

tresher wrote:Does anybody know when universities start sending visa related documents to international students? Do they send these docs by email or post?
It depends on when you have submitted your Financial forms and SEVIS form. If you have submitted that (and everything is alright), then mostly by 1.5 weeks they dispatch your I-20. Most schools send by either Fedex or DHL so no worries and you receive it by 5 days tops.

tresher

Post by tresher » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks Blackcat007!! The problem is that I still have not received any paperwork from the University and I'm freaking out a bit. Do you think I should have already received these docs?

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

tresher wrote:Thanks Blackcat007!! The problem is that I still have not received any paperwork from the University and I'm freaking out a bit. Do you think I should have already received these docs?
Well I have already received my I-20 2 weeks ago. I think you should call them to know whats going on.

tresher

Post by tresher » Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 am

I called them and they wanted me to clarify something on my grades. They are going to process it and they will tell me next week.
I hope everything is ok because I am already making all the arrangements to move to the USA :shock:
Thanks for your advise!!

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:52 am

tresher wrote:I called them and they wanted me to clarify something on my grades. They are going to process it and they will tell me next week.
I hope everything is ok because I am already making all the arrangements to move to the USA :shock:
Thanks for your advise!!
Well I would suggest not to panic as different schools have different procedures. Even a friend of mine is yet to receive his I-20. Stay confident and be happy that you will be going to US in this Fall, after all you have cleared the biggest potential hill, the admission. All now left are small bumps :)

Good Luck

tresher

Post by tresher » Mon May 31, 2010 10:22 am

hehe thanks mate! I guess I'm just panicking thinking that I should have already received the paperwork, but as you say, it depends on the university and their procedures. But, in the meantime I am going crazy. I guess I didn't have enough stress waiting to know for the admission that I have to be worried again with a different issue. I never learn... :wink: