Foundations of Physics Masters at Columbia University

limbophysics

Foundations of Physics Masters at Columbia University

Post by limbophysics » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:35 pm

So I'm taking a couple of years "off" between undergrad and grad school and will probably end up working in a neuroscience lab (I know, not the best thing to do, but there aren't too many options).

I'm interested in maybe trying to get into the Columbia University 1 yr Masters program in Foundations of Physics. It involves 1/2 Philosophy & 1/2 Physics coursework and a written thesis. I'm interested in Philosophy of Physics, but not set on that. I would definitely like to get a PhD in Physics at some point, but but it is to be determined whether or not I'll go into Physics or Philosophy of Physics as a career.

The MA at Columbia seems like a great way to get my feet wet in philosophy of physics and to take some of the physics classes I would otherwise take as a 1st year student in a Physics PhD program. However, $$$$ is a problem and I don't want to take on more loans, etc if I won't ultimately use the degree. Advice? How hard is it to get a MA funded.

noojens

Re: Foundations of Physics Masters at Columbia University

Post by noojens » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Depends! How awesome are you?

mirage

Post by mirage » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:05 pm

Have you considered going abroad? There are some great 1-year master's programs in the UK in both philosophy of science as well as more specifically in the philosophy of physics (and some have phil of phys modules specifically within a phil of science program). Oxford has almost a brand-new master's in the philosophy of physics, and Cambridge, King's College London, Leeds, and Bristol also have very interesting similar programs. You could apply for a Fulbright scholarship, and some of these unis have their own scholarships available for outstanding international students, so it's worth having a look around. Are you an EU citizen by any chance? Because that would allow you access to a lot more funding as well as lower fees.
Also, keep in mind that even if you can't get a scholarship, tuition fees in the UK are lower than in the US (even as an international student in the UK) and you may be able to use educational loans from the US to fund your studies there.
Just some things to consider... 8)

mirage

Post by mirage » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:15 pm

I forgot to add - Canadian schools are another option. Even lower tuition... And you can't beat the ice hockey, eh?

limbophysics

Post by limbophysics » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks for the advice!
In terms of how awesome I am: not very. 660 PGRE score and then 700 Math, 650 verbal, 4.5 Writing. I'll probably be looking to stay in the U.S. for my studies. What are the reasons for doing a M.S. in physics before going on to the PhD?