Research Oppurtonity during Masters

ali8

Research Oppurtonity during Masters

Post by ali8 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi,

So someone is going for a masters program in physics in US. The first three terms are dedicated for course work, the last term is for the masters thesis.

I was wondering about when could someone do research?

I am talking about a student who is a TA, not a RA. I can see that the only oppurtonity is during the summer of the first year, although this would be a very short period..Also, there is a good time for research during the masters degree, but...

If this person is going to apply for another university for his PhD., then that will be typically during December/January which is just before his Masters term.

In conclusion, a masters student will barely have any research opportunity (assuming a TA) when he applies for a PhD.

Any ideas ?

midwestphysics

Re: Research Oppurtonity during Masters

Post by midwestphysics » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:32 pm

I'm pretty sure you can volunteer to do research at any time. It's just a matter of whether or not you can handle the course load, teaching duties, and research all at once.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:33 pm

That's really fantastic...I have never thought that one can "volunteer" for doing research...

But yes, handling course load + TA + research is not a joke...

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:58 pm

ali8 wrote:That's really fantastic...I have never thought that one can "volunteer" for doing research...

:lol: Not sure why you're disappointed with that, the answer fit the question.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:13 pm

midwestphysics wrote:
ali8 wrote:That's really fantastic...I have never thought that one can "volunteer" for doing research...

:lol: Not sure why you're disappointed with that, the answer fit the question.
I was thinking of the masters as an opportunity to "strengthen" my profile, so as to be able
to apply for better places for PhD.

But if there's little chance of research during masters then you can see why I am disappointed.

BTW, suppose the university asked me to be a TA, can I ask for an RA ?

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:20 pm

I meant with my answer.... Anyway

A masters can help, but it depends on the kind of masters if you ask me. Some schools offer two paths, course oriented and research oriented. Personally, I'd go the research route. Though even on the course oriented track there's opportunity to do research, but it's harder.

However, if you want to stipulate that your only interested in being an RA. If you're accepted anywhere, or better yet before you apply, clearly state that your only interested in doing that. You'll be evaluated under those conditions and people won't be wasting each others time.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:53 pm

Fair enough, I think.

Thanks for the reply...