Multiple paths to biomedical engineering

ignisatra

Multiple paths to biomedical engineering

Post by ignisatra » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm interested in biomedical engineering/medical imaging, yet there are multiple paths to get there.

For example, at University of Wisconsin it is possible to focus on that through EE, medical physics, biomedical engineering, and regular physics.

Any thoughts on how they differ? I'm trying to figure out which path to apply to because Univ of Wisc only allows one application per admission period.

Thanks.

pqortic

Re: Multiple paths to one end

Post by pqortic » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:16 pm

ignisatra wrote:I'm interested in biomedical engineering/medical imaging, yet there are multiple paths to get there.

For example, at University of Wisconsin it is possible to focus on that through EE, medical physics, biomedical engineering, and regular physics.

Any thoughts on how they differ? I'm trying to figure out which path to apply to because Univ of Wisc only allows one application per admission period.

Thanks.
your question is like saying, I want to work in the field of nanotechnology. which major is better: physics, chemistry, EE?
nanotechnology or biomedical engineering are broad topics and require scientists from different majors. which path to take depends on your background and research interests. once you are decided on your specific area of research, find a professor/research group which suits your interest and then see what are the requirements to get into that group.

bfollinprm

Re: Multiple paths to biomedical engineering

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:25 pm

I agree absolutely with what pqortic said. However, if I was in your shoes and had no idea whatsoever what particular research groups you'd be interested in, the following would play into my decision:

1. How well-ranked are the various departments? Will I be a successful applicant? If I get in, will my degree be respected in the field?

2. How sure am I that I want to do medical imaging? If I'm really sure, I might pick medical physics, if I'm less sure, EE or regular physics.

3. What are my career goals? If I want to work in industry, I'd go for the departments that feed primarily into industry (EE or medical physics). If I want to do research, I'd aim for biomedical engineering or physics.

4. Where's the money? Who will pay me for grad school, and how much? When I get out, which degree will offer me the highest salaried positions?

5. Do I want a PhD or a masters? Which programs offer terminal masters, and what jobs do they qualify me for? Which programs have difficult qualifying exams (if many people flunk, it's an indicator that not everyone accepted is expected to continue through a thesis).