Publishing in my university vs going to an internship

physbosc

Publishing in my university vs going to an internship

Post by physbosc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:01 pm

I am doing a BS in Physics and another in Math as well as a MS in Applied Math at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I have the option to go to a third research internship, or staying in my university to complete 1 or 2 publications. I also have a publication already (theoretical physics and math). What is more important if I want to apply to a top PhD program in physics this coming fall? Should I go for the internship or stay here and publish more? Thank you for your opinions! :D

Nishikata

Re: Publishing in my university vs going to an internship

Post by Nishikata » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:35 pm

internship gives you research experience, while publication gives you a research credentials.
Unless this internship opens a door that you can't open with your current qualification, the publication is of higher importance.

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:09 pm

Nishikata wrote:internship gives you research experience, while publication gives you a research credentials.
Unless this internship opens a door that you can't open with your current qualification, the publication is of higher importance.
I think your answer is very over simplistic.
Let me elaborate.

To Original poster:
Firstly — by research internship do you mean REU at another university??

Secondly — what field do you most want to pursue in graduate school?
If your desired field is the field you currently do research in, then I advise that you stay at your home uni over the summer. If your adviser has funding this is great, but also even without funding if you live nearby or can find a friend that does to live with for the summer.
If you are considering another field for graduate work, do an REU in that. Hands down.

physbosc

Post by physbosc » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:27 pm

jabennett2194 wrote:
Nishikata wrote:internship gives you research experience, while publication gives you a research credentials.
I think your answer is very over simplistic.
Let me elaborate.

To Original poster:
Firstly — by research internship do you mean REU at another university??

Secondly — what field do you most want to pursue in graduate school?
If your desired field is the field you currently do research in, then I advise that you stay at your home uni over the summer. If your adviser has funding this is great, but also even without funding if you live nearby or can find a friend that does to live with for the summer.
If you are considering another field for graduate work, do an REU in that. Hands down.

Sorry, I will be more specific. Yes, it would be a REU at another university, national laboratory, or research institution (e.g. Max Planck Institute). This is for the ones I have in mind. It would be actually in more experimental work. I am mostly interested in computational and theoretical physics though, and the research I will do on my university is one of three branches of physics I am considering to study during my PhD. I will also be funded if I stay, and will earn more than at the research internships I have considered.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:43 pm

So in summary, the REU you're considering is in a new field that you're not interested in pursuing in your Ph.D.
This opens a new door, but you're not interested in going inside that door anyways.

meanwhile, in your university, you'll get a publication in your area of interest. This aligns with your Ph.D direction.
And it gives more money.

It should be very clear, right?

jabennett2194

Post by jabennett2194 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:45 am

Preciously as Nishikata said — I'd advise staying an home uni! :)