Is it a must to participate in some research inside the US schools?

gaugeinvariance

Is it a must to participate in some research inside the US schools?

Post by gaugeinvariance » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:46 am

Dear All

I am planning to apply again for the US schools in the coming application cycle. I have got nearly 3 years of research experience in my home institution, as well as some collaboration with some US guys. I am about to submit my second 1st author paper to APJ (although the first one is under review). I am an international student. I would like to ask for an international student, is it a must that I need to participate in some summer research inside the schools of US in order for me to get into US schools for a PhD? My field of interest is computational astrophysics - mainly fluid simulations

Thanks

geekusprimus

Re: Is it a must to participate in some research inside the US schools?

Post by geekusprimus » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:37 pm

No. Half my cohort is international, and the overwhelming majority did all of their work inside their home countries. If your applications this year around didn't go according to plan, remember that this year was really hard for admissions -- most schools had record numbers of applicants but fewer available positions, plus less data to go off of.

gaugeinvariance

Post by gaugeinvariance » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:30 pm

geekusprimus wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:37 pm
No. Half my cohort is international, and the overwhelming majority did all of their work inside their home countries. If your applications this year around didn't go according to plan, remember that this year was really hard for admissions -- most schools had record numbers of applicants but fewer available positions, plus less data to go off of.
Thank you for your information, which makes me relief a lot! May I ask which school are you in, and what field of research are you engaging in? If you are sensitive so such personal information, may I ask is it possible to communicate through PM? Thanks :D

gaugeinvariance

Post by gaugeinvariance » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:27 pm

Anyway, I am grateful in any one would also like to share their experiences :D