Statement of Purpose Question

shebaiscool

Statement of Purpose Question

Post by shebaiscool » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Hello,

I'm very new here. I made a very poor lifestyle choice and took Statistical physics (quarter long), a group pre-project course unique to my school (lots of writing and very time consuming, quarter long) and Graduate Electrodynamics (Semester long, with Jackson) my sophomore year.

Due to my arrogance and lack of forethought, I ended up being overwhelmed with work and got two B's and a C in the grad course. My first and only C, and the most B's I had ever gotten in a single term. Two out of four people on the team were lacking; consequently, I had to rewrite great portions of our report. Needless to say, I felt like a complete idiot for my course selection.

Is it worth mentioning in my SOP that taking grad E&M my sophomore year was a mistake and that I learnt something about my limits? Or would that raise flags indicating that I am not capable of taking grad courses?

I should have 4 more grad courses, hopefully with better results, under my belt by the time I send my application in.

Thanks for your time!

bfollinprm

Re: Statement of Purpose Question

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:34 am

shebaiscool wrote:Hello,

I'm very new here. I made a very poor lifestyle choice and took Statistical physics (quarter long), a group pre-project course unique to my school (lots of writing and very time consuming, quarter long) and Graduate Electrodynamics (Semester long, with Jackson) my sophomore year.

Due to my arrogance and lack of forethought, I ended up being overwhelmed with work and got two B's and a C in the grad course. My first and only C, and the most B's I had ever gotten in a single term. Two out of four people on the team were lacking; consequently, I had to rewrite great portions of our report. Needless to say, I felt like a complete idiot for my course selection.

Is it worth mentioning in my SOP that taking grad E&M my sophomore year was a mistake and that I learnt something about my limits? Or would that raise flags indicating that I am not capable of taking grad courses?

I should have 4 more grad courses, hopefully with better results, under my belt by the time I send my application in.

Thanks for your time!
Did you take an undergrad E&M before Jackson?

shebaiscool

Re: Statement of Purpose Question

Post by shebaiscool » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:33 am

Yes, two of them. I'd say that combined, the two courses add up to a semester course at an other college.