Military rank in resume

schwiss

Military rank in resume

Post by schwiss » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Hey.
I heard today that one should not put a military rank in resume that is sent to the US. Can anyone confirm if this is true, that is, it would be viewed negatively? Thanks.

pqortic

Re: Military rank in resume

Post by pqortic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:20 pm

you mean as an international applicant from other countries?

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:33 pm

Yeah. Mandatory service, NCO reserve rank.

kroner

Post by kroner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:40 pm

That seems strange to me. Did they give a reason why you shouldn't list it?

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:24 pm

I can't imagine any reason why this would negatively impact your resume, especially if the position was one of importance and/or required leadership skills.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:06 pm

Did they give you a reason why you should put it?

To be honest, I don't think it will affect the application very much, in either direction.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:50 am

schwiss wrote:Yeah. Mandatory service, NCO reserve rank.
I don't know what NCO is. but there are some rumors that being a military personnel might cause some problem in getting visa. actually for some countries, say north korea, it's not rumor and they practice this. because they (US) don't want to transfer some critical technologies to other nations by educating people with military background. having said that, I am not sure this really addresses your concern or not. that's what I heard.

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:46 am

I did not hear a reason for either putting or not putting it in. But because I have to include the service itself to explain the time gap I have in my education, I thought I'd mention the rank too. NCO is a corporal/sergeant.

Luckily I would not say my country is comparable to North Korea, and the mandatory service is just something that ~80% of male population do, e.g. is not related to an actual military career at all.

I guess I'll just leave it as it is and not worry.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 am

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Like I've mentioned to others, I doubt application committees look at applications this deeply. And even if they do, I'm sure they don't give it much thought.

-Riley

kroner

Post by kroner » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:49 pm

pqortic wrote:
schwiss wrote:Yeah. Mandatory service, NCO reserve rank.
I don't know what NCO is. but there are some rumors that being a military personnel might cause some problem in getting visa. actually for some countries, say north korea, it's not rumor and they practice this. because they (US) don't want to transfer some critical technologies to other nations by educating people with military background. having said that, I am not sure this really addresses your concern or not. that's what I heard.
Even if the US government has this incentive, the admissions committees at schools do not, and the government has no control over who they admit (besides through offering funding and I doubt there is any difference in the available government funding depending on whether you've listed a military rank on the CV for your admission application or not). On the other hand, it seems like there could be upside to including it, since it can highlight your leadership skills and ability to work in a team, as HappyQuark said.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:12 pm

kroner wrote: On the other hand, it seems like there could be upside to including it, since it can highlight your leadership skills and ability to work in a team, as HappyQuark said.
Damn, now I have to go change all my applications to include that I was varsity captain for my high school soccer and basketball teams.

-Riley