Introduction to SoP

notnaps

Introduction to SoP

Post by notnaps » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:07 pm

I'm in the process of writing my SoP. It was (relatively) easy for me to write about research I've done, why I want to grad school, etc.. but I'm having real issues coming up with a way to start the thing off.

Other than the pretty cliche childhood story of curiosity and wonderment with physics (e.g "Ever since my parents dropped me on my head as an infant, I've been fascinated with gravitation"), I can't come up with any other ways to start off my essay :? .

How have you started your essays, do you have any general advice or tips?

schwiss

Re: Introduction to SoP

Post by schwiss » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:59 pm

I write mine on a Moebius strip and therefore needed no start nor end. I got into my first choice and during the first week a professor contacted me personally and asked me to join his lab.

Unfortunately, then I woke up on my keyboard, with my sop.txt open in editor and saying "hb gjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjngjn" etc for several megabyte's worth. So, sorry, I am not helpful here.

Especially because the previous story was of course just a joke too. I am not applying this year and I apologize for wasting your valuable time.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Think about how you became interested in research more recently - cool experiences during late high school or early college work pretty well. When did you decide when you wanted to go to grad school? Write about that moment.

Mataka

Post by Mataka » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:20 pm

Think about how you became interested in research more recently - cool experiences during late high school or early college work pretty well. When did you decide when you wanted to go to grad school? Write about that moment

Yeah I totally agree. The more recent the better. You can talk about a seminar you attended that made a really strong impression on you, or a how you met a big shot physicist that really motivated you ... something that the admission committee can relate to.

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:11 am

Karma is a bitch. I'm struggling with coming up with a good introduction to my sop, then I search the forum and find my own stupid and irrelevant "advice". Sob.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:17 am

schwiss wrote:Karma is a bitch. I'm struggling with coming up with a good introduction to my sop, then I search the forum and find my own stupid and irrelevant "advice". Sob.
Buhahaha!! :wink:

CarlBrannen

Post by CarlBrannen » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:44 pm

I was going to start mine with "I never had any interest in mathematics or physics as a youth."

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:30 pm

When I applied to schools last year, I started mine with..

"My passion in life is Art."

Although, the rest of it is secret. ;)

-Riley

schwiss

Post by schwiss » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:29 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:When I applied to schools last year, I started mine with..

"My passion in life is Art."

Although, the rest of it is secret. ;)

-Riley
"My passion in life is Art.
When I die I want to Fart." ?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:51 pm

schwiss wrote: "My passion in life is Art.
When I die I want to Fart." ?
On a serious note, I felt the SOP went over well. =P

-Riley

YodaT

Post by YodaT » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:52 am

I started my SOP with something like this...

"Three years ago I entered college, with an undecided future, and it wasn't until a year later my academic career in physics commenced. I completed two years of physics in one year, but... blah blah..."

I went on to state how a medical complication prevented me from finishing my degree in three years, how my research skills were related to my level of education, and what my research interests were. The second paragraph started with something like this...

"For a little background I'd like to state that my primary talents are that of an artist. The aesthetic appearance and wording in physics text attracted me to the field and my imaginative spirit allowed me to easily visualize physical scenarios. This same artistic ability has lead me to pursue programming and computer science as a hobby... blah blah..."

I went on to state how my medical condition has effected some portions of my transcript, with a swift defense by stating my excellent performance in certain upper-level courses and the level of comprehension required to do my current theoretical research projects. The third paragraph went on summarizing my research projects, their results, and my contributions. Finally, I ended with an awesome conclusion.

All of this is supported by mentions in my resume of awards received for art projects, list of talks/presentations, leadership positions, TAs/Internships, programming skills, languages other than English.. etc.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:37 am

YodaT wrote:"For a little background I'd like to state that my primary talents are that of an artist. The aesthetic appearance and wording in physics text attracted me to the field and my imaginative spirit allowed me to easily visualize physical scenarios. This same artistic ability has lead me to pursue programming and computer science as a hobby... blah blah..."
Very similar to what I have wrote in mine for this year. =]

-Riley

YodaT

Post by YodaT » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:33 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
YodaT wrote:"For a little background I'd like to state that my primary talents are that of an artist. The aesthetic appearance and wording in physics text attracted me to the field and my imaginative spirit allowed me to easily visualize physical scenarios. This same artistic ability has lead me to pursue programming and computer science as a hobby... blah blah..."
Very similar to what I have wrote in mine for this year. =]

-Riley
Lets not be too similar now :mrgreen:

Haha, jk... I'm not applying 'til next year.