How to state "minor" research experience?

Orfevre

How to state "minor" research experience?

Post by Orfevre » Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 am

Hi, although I have three research experiences, one of them was done during my freshmen year. I know nearly nothing at that time and contribute little. I was involved for less than 6 months and talked with the professor less than 10 times. Most of my time was working with a senior student who was already graduated. Should I include this experience in my CV or SoP? If yes, how do I state this experience? And Should I ask for RL from this professor?
Thank you for answering!

BugTown

Re: How to state "minor" research experience?

Post by BugTown » Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 am

If I was you, I would definitely mention it briefly as it shows an early interest, which is always looked well upon. However, I wouldn't go as far as asking a letter of rec. because I don't think it will be a strong one. You really want your letters to be the strongest possible letters you can get.

Orfevre

Re: How to state "minor" research experience?

Post by Orfevre » Fri May 20, 2022 12:51 am

BugTown wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:51 am
If I was you, I would definitely mention it briefly as it shows an early interest, which is always looked well upon. However, I wouldn't go as far as asking a letter of rec. because I don't think it will be a strong one. You really want your letters to be the strongest possible letters you can get.
Thank you! But would it be a little strange if I have research experience, but do not have the RL from the mentor?