Writing an SOP with time off from school

silasmarner

Writing an SOP with time off from school

Post by silasmarner » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi all,
So i took some time off from school (2 years) because I needed to work o support my partner while she did a research post-bac in medicine. I was unable to find any research jobs, so I work as a desk monkey for the government now. I have tried to stay active by writing theory papers, but I am worried that this will look really bad on me applying to Experimental HEP (don't have the grades for theory). Do I try to explain this time on my SOP, or just leave it and hope to explain in interviews?
Thanks!

thisisphysics

Re: Writing an SOP with time off from school

Post by thisisphysics » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:46 pm

Hey. Just an undergrad, but I think writing theory papers in your time off would absolutely make you competitive for experimental physics! That absolutely shows initiative, and I think you should emphasize that. Don't emphasize the negatives so much as much as the positive. One example I use for this is the following. Compare these two sentences: "In my junior year, my grades suffered due to an illness in the family." vs "In junior year, I maintained a 3.3 despite an illness in the family, and I learned how to budget my time more effectively." Just try to spin it in the best possible light. Reflect on how your time off has helped you choose grad school. Has it given you clarity of thought or idea? Talk about that.

jabennett2194

Re: Writing an SOP with time off from school

Post by jabennett2194 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:45 am

Great advice ^^^ :D