How important are GRE General scores

gangsterfish100

How important are GRE General scores

Post by gangsterfish100 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 pm

I am going into my senior year and am currently planning to apply to grad school (for cosmology) in the fall. I just took the GRE General and got a 166/162 (97/82 percentiles) unofficial score for verbal/quant. I understand that verbal essentially does not matter, which sucks because that is what I am better at. What I want to know is if a 162 in Quant will disqualify me for top schools (or all schools :( ). Currently I have a 3.78 GPA at a very good state school in the US. I have not taken the pGRE (seriously, I sat through it once without studying but in hindsight that was a waste). I also think I can get two of my rec letters from cosmology profs.

In summary, I hate stupid general testing and do not want to take it again, but if I have to take it again I will.

Thanks

quizivex

Re: How important are GRE General scores

Post by quizivex » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:57 am

As far as I recall, whenever this question was discussed in the past, the consensus was that one's undergraduate physics record and PGRE score do a better job of measuring one's math skills for physics than the middle school level questions on the QGRE. A subpar QGRE is likely to be disregarded as a fluke if the rest of the applicant's record is strong.