Crappy General GRE score

sasquatch76

Crappy General GRE score

Post by sasquatch76 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Hello, and thanks to anyone who decides to read this and respond.

I hate standardized tests, they take forever and I get anxiety. Took the general GRE today and got Q -158 and V-155. The verbal I wasn't surprised at but I knew taking the quantitative that it wasn't going to be pretty. I ran out of time taking it and I got screwed. Other than these, I have a 3.7 gpa with a hard upward trend (started at 2.9 freshman year) and all A's in my upper level physics classes with an overall 3.85 in it, a 3.9 in engineering (double major), plus I know I'll be able to get some very strong LOR's. I also will have two summers and a semester's worth of research under my belt. My question is, as long as my PGRE score is over 800, which i've been studying for quite a bit, will I be ok to go somewhere such as Stony brook? Colorado? Michigan? Or should I retake it?

Edit: I'd be going for CM or AMO experiment.

flyingwaffleftw

Re: Crappy General GRE score

Post by flyingwaffleftw » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Unfortunately this isn't an answer to your question, but rather I am in the same boat as you. I am looking to apply to some similar schools and some that are lower ranked--certainly not the top 10--and I also got a 158Q on the GRE. Boost to this post, should we retake? Am I completely screwed since I have not yet taken the Physics GRE?

I guess I should simply focus on the PGRE in the meantime..