General GRE Quantitative Score

jgentleman

General GRE Quantitative Score

Post by jgentleman » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:16 pm

I just took the computerized general GRE the other day. I did surprisingly well on my verbal (740), but my math part wasn't outstanding--only 750. I was a bit rusty on the non-calculus-based math section, was a little slow, and didn't finish. I'm suprised because I'm really good at math.

I had the same problem in high school. I thought the first math achievement test was harder than the second one, although the math is considered simpler in the former.

Based on this, should I bother to take the test again? If I have excellent math grades and a very fine subject score, could this score hurt me?

tnoviell

Post by tnoviell » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:03 pm

How is a 750 on quantitative poor again?

If you score over a 700 I wouldn't worry about it.

ualritemate

Post by ualritemate » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:56 am

so basically you got 1490 on your general GRE...
If I were you, i won't ask this question in the first place...4 years of college has taught me that 1400+ on General GRE is great!!...
So really, did you seriously think about retaking the test? I mean, honestly??
if you did: my piece of advise is: take it easy, man,...if you really want sth to worry about, physics has much to offer...
from what i have heard from professors at graduate school (at research conventions and such), grad schools also tend to avoid "worry worms" not matter what kind of a score one has...So, don't let that put you behind other exceptional applicants.......good luck

Richter

Post by Richter » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:41 pm

Yes, you should retake the test again and again until you got all full mark.
Also, you should find all the Physics Nobel Laureates to write recommendation letters for you.
Thirdly, you should find Nobel Laureate in literature to review your SOP.
Lastly, you should create a new branch of physics that unifies every force in nature and explains everything so well, relativity and quantum mechanics are just trivial examples of applications of your theory. You should also publish your new theory piecewise into 10 papers, and publish your idea into books.
P.S. Maybe this may help, you should start writing your series of Lectures in Physics, (or 10 volumes of Course on Theoretical Physics) for the future graduate students and researchers.

hypodermic

Post by hypodermic » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:12 am

I think this depends on the types of grad programs you want to apply to. If you're aiming for top-10 programs, I would definitely retake it. From what I've been told, pretty much all applicants to top programs are expected to have an 800 Q.

skozmedia

Post by skozmedia » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:52 am

Sometimes the quantitative test can take a seasoned veteran by surprise. I think for the good schools, everything else will weigh in a lot more importantly. Granted, you're on the lower end of their quantitative "spectrum", but it should be pretty obvious from your other stats that you are a quality scientist. In general, I think it looks WORSE to take it again than taking your 750 and swallowing it. Be happy with your V score though, that's a venerable result!