Statement about poor PGRE score

twinb87
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:11 am

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by twinb87 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 pm

michael wrote:Ok, just abusing the fact that there are probably lots of americans here - I have a W2 tax form from some research I did in the US in the last tax year. I am pretty sure I can claim some tax back. Can anyone point me towards any websites (which won't try to take some of my money) which tell me how to go about claiming it back? Is it already too late as the last tax year has passed? Sorry, I am massively confused by the form and advice would be highly appreciated.
By last tax year do you mean 2009 or 2010? If it is work done in 2010 then you are not too late at all and if it is 2009 I think you still have time as well. Also, did you pay both state and federal taxes during your research because if you did then the total amount of money you might be able to get back will depend on the state where you worked and I would need to know this to be able to help more effectively.

michael
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:21 am

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by michael » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Thank you so much! I will pm you a little more detail.

Goran15
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by Goran15 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:34 pm

Is being informed late a good excuse for a bad PGRE score? I was talking to a prof. from USA somwhere in late September when he told me to apply to US schools so I really didn't have time to properly prepare for the test and had to take them all inside a month (PGRE, GRE, TOEFL) - which can clearly be seen by the test dates on my application. Now, should I send them an email explaining that is the reason i got 650?


sorry to repost but I didn't want it to get lost in the load of bull poasted before it :D

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by t2kburl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:10 pm

HappyQuark wrote: I've looked through our dialogue a few times now and I promise you I'm not seeing any instances in which I manipulated what you said.
I think I made it plenty obvious that I took offense to what you were saying. I'm not even sure I remember why, now, and I'm certainly not going to read it all again. I'm a crabby old fart sometimes, and I apologize for that. However, once it was obviously offensive to me, continuing with a disrespectful tone was a bad idea.
HappyQuark wrote:Regardless, I don't think it's a good economy of your time or mine to be so concerned over this discussion any more,
I couldn't agree more.
HappyQuark wrote: so I'd like to formally apologize for any instance in which I misrepresented what you were saying and I'd like to assure you it wasn't my intention.
This is the correct answer to Sunday morning's exam.
I was trying to make a point about using caution in your actions/words and not to assume screwing with anyone, at any time, may not have consequences. People should be treated respectfully by default, regardless of the circumstances. Hopefully you keep that in mind and spare yourself a similar mistake in the future.
HappyQuark wrote:Have a nice day and, again, congrats on your first acceptance.
Thank you. Hope yours comes soon.

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by t2kburl » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:33 pm

grae313 wrote: Learn to forgive as well as to fight, soldier, and take the high road when someone's simple words in an online forum are not to your liking.
I was trying to make a point about using caution in your actions/words and not to assume screwing with anyone, at any time, may not have consequences. People should be treated respectfully by default, regardless of the circumstances. Hopefully something was learned from all this stupid bullshit.

Yeah, I'll give you that I was oversensitive to HQ's attitude. It is extremely rare for people to interact with me in a disrespectful way. I'm just a crabby old fart that was ridiculously stressed out. I saw that and offered the front of my hand instead of giving him the back, so I did choose the high road, but it was up to him to choose which way it would end up.

I really don't want anybody to have anything to do with my ass! LOL It has too many footprints on it already. Mostly my own.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 pm

t2kburl wrote:
HappyQuark wrote: I've looked through our dialogue a few times now and I promise you I'm not seeing any instances in which I manipulated what you said.
I think I made it plenty obvious that I took offense to what you were saying. I'm not even sure I remember why, now, and I'm certainly not going to read it all again. I'm a crabby old fart sometimes, and I apologize for that. However, once it was obviously offensive to me, continuing with a disrespectful tone was a bad idea.
HappyQuark wrote:Regardless, I don't think it's a good economy of your time or mine to be so concerned over this discussion any more,
I couldn't agree more.
HappyQuark wrote: so I'd like to formally apologize for any instance in which I misrepresented what you were saying and I'd like to assure you it wasn't my intention.
This is the correct answer to Sunday morning's exam.
I was trying to make a point about using caution in your actions/words and not to assume screwing with anyone, at any time, may not have consequences. People should be treated respectfully by default, regardless of the circumstances. Hopefully you keep that in mind and spare yourself a similar mistake in the future.
HappyQuark wrote:Have a nice day and, again, congrats on your first acceptance.
Thank you. Hope yours comes soon.
Just for future reference, when a person concedes a point or apologizes for a response and it's done strictly to settle a quarrel, it's customary for the other person to not declare a victory or advance their points further.

Have a nice day!

badphysicist
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by badphysicist » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:42 am

Goran15 wrote:Is being informed late a good excuse for a bad PGRE score? I was talking to a prof. from USA somwhere in late September when he told me to apply to US schools so I really didn't have time to properly prepare for the test and had to take them all inside a month (PGRE, GRE, TOEFL) - which can clearly be seen by the test dates on my application. Now, should I send them an email explaining that is the reason i got 650?


sorry to repost but I didn't want it to get lost in the load of bull poasted before it :D

No it isn't. The admissions committee will probably look at that kind of excuse as a black mark on your application, though don't take my word for it. I've been wrong many times before.

Goran15
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by Goran15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:38 am

badphysicist wrote:
Goran15 wrote:Is being informed late a good excuse for a bad PGRE score? I was talking to a prof. from USA somwhere in late September when he told me to apply to US schools so I really didn't have time to properly prepare for the test and had to take them all inside a month (PGRE, GRE, TOEFL) - which can clearly be seen by the test dates on my application. Now, should I send them an email explaining that is the reason i got 650?


sorry to repost but I didn't want it to get lost in the load of bull poasted before it :D

No it isn't. The admissions committee will probably look at that kind of excuse as a black mark on your application, though don't take my word for it. I've been wrong many times before.
why? I mean if they accept i'we been sick they must accept that i was informed late, that is i didn't know that you have to apply a year earlier than you plan to attend.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Goran15 wrote:why? I mean if they accept i'we been sick they must accept that i was informed late, that is i didn't know that you have to apply a year earlier than you plan to attend.
Seriously, let's say for example your "excuse" is true or valid, how will the Admissions Committee view it? Even if you only had a month to prepare (which is about how much time I set aside explicitly to study), you should understand the concepts presented in the test fairly well without review. Truthfully, this excuse is something that the admissions committee will pin onto you. It isn't like something happened that was completely out of your control. If you were truly interested in graduate school in Physics in the U.S. you would have done the research in what was required way before you made the decision to apply to schools. I sincerely think sending this excuse to schools will not help anything. Also, I already made a comment about not sending the being sick excuse either, so I don't know where you are automatically assuming sending a letter about that was completely acceptable.

-Riley

Goran15
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by Goran15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:34 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
Goran15 wrote:why? I mean if they accept i'we been sick they must accept that i was informed late, that is i didn't know that you have to apply a year earlier than you plan to attend.
Also, I already made a comment about not sending the being sick excuse either, so I don't know where you are automatically assuming sending a letter about that was completely acceptable.

-Riley
I took it from the positive response that the guy got for the sick excuse. And yes, you did make you opinion clear but until I see you sitting on the board of my admitions comitee I'm not gonna simply accept it as only one that's valid. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people are thinking.
But I do see your point of comming across as not being interested in study in us because of my lack of info.

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by t2kburl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:34 pm

Goran15 wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:
Goran15 wrote:why? I mean if they accept i'we been sick they must accept that i was informed late, that is i didn't know that you have to apply a year earlier than you plan to attend.
Also, I already made a comment about not sending the being sick excuse either, so I don't know where you are automatically assuming sending a letter about that was completely acceptable.

-Riley
I took it from the positive response that the guy got for the sick excuse. And yes, you did make you opinion clear but until I see you sitting on the board of my admitions comitee I'm not gonna simply accept it as only one that's valid. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people are thinking.
But I do see your point of comming across as not being interested in study in us because of my lack of info.
Having experienced all of this, I would say: number one, check with your advisor, if that is an option for you. Have them read what you intend to say and trust their opinion or advice on the matter. The fact that the scores came too late to say anything about them in the original "statement of purpose" (in my opinion) leaves a window open for this type of statement to be needed.
However, a 650 isn't really that bad, though it looks like it on this site. It may be tough to make the case that it is not an accurate representation of your abilities as a student. The bigger programs would be unlikely to read any such statement, or care what it has to say, because they have plenty of great applicants to choose from. Second-tier (and/or lower) programs are more likely to have to compete for their top choices among their applicants and thus more likely to consider second-tier applications.
Despite the extremely negative responses my original post generated here, my actual statement appears to have been well received and appreciated by most of the schools I sent it to. But these were all smaller programs which typically get fewer than 100 applicants.

Hope that helps you make your decision.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by WhoaNonstop » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:25 pm

t2kburl wrote:However, a 650 isn't really that bad
For an international student, a low score tends to kill the application more than it does for a domestic student, so I think he has plenty of reason to contact one of his places of application. Whether I agree with his reasons is another thing. And you're right, I'm not on an admissions committee, but I would be surprised if my logic is far from correct.

-Riley

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by t2kburl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
t2kburl wrote:However, a 650 isn't really that bad
For an international student, a low score tends to kill the application more than it does for a domestic student, so I think he has plenty of reason to contact one of his places of application. Whether I agree with his reasons is another thing. And you're right, I'm not on an admissions committee, but I would be surprised if my logic is far from correct.

-Riley
Oh ... my bad. I didn't catch that he is an international student. In that case, I'd recommend firing off some "safety" school applications in a big hurry!

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by axiomofchoice » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Goran15 wrote: why? I mean if they accept i'we been sick they must accept that i was informed late, that is i didn't know that you have to apply a year earlier than you plan to attend.
If I sit on the admission committee and I see this excuse, I would think "oh well he/she can apply again next year with much more time to prepare" and move on the the next application.

Being informed late is a really poor excuse, unless you know something really terrible is going to happen to you if you delay going to grad school for one year. Plenty of people defer their grad school application to the next year when they feel their application is not ready.

My 2 cents anyways.

Goran15
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by Goran15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm

well the professor that told me to apply knows the people at universities where I'm applying so I though that would give it some weight.
Anyway thanks for the help I guess I won't send anything.

t2kburl
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by t2kburl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Goran15 wrote:well the professor that told me to apply knows the people at universities where I'm applying so I though that would give it some weight.
Anyway thanks for the help I guess I won't send anything.
If he knows the right people his letter for you will carry much more weight than your score.

Goran15
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by Goran15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm

t2kburl wrote:
Goran15 wrote:well the professor that told me to apply knows the people at universities where I'm applying so I though that would give it some weight.
Anyway thanks for the help I guess I won't send anything.
If he knows the right people his letter for you will carry much more weight than your score.
here's hoping :wink:

User avatar
kubikat
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by kubikat » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Goran15 wrote:here's hoping :wink:
Good luck! I am international too and I got accepted to all the schools I applied last year with a mere 590 PGRE and no related research. Mind you none of them were ranked above 40. This year is my second try :D

Goran15
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Statement about poor PGRE score

Post by Goran15 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 pm

kubikat wrote:
Goran15 wrote:here's hoping :wink:
Good luck! I am international too and I got accepted to all the schools I applied last year with a mere 590 PGRE and no related research. Mind you none of them were ranked above 40. This year is my second try :D
from what I gather we have a pretty similar situation except for you being female ofcourse :D
well let's hope duke accepts two east european, bad GRE (though yours is a lot better), experimental physicist interested in AMO :D

p.s. sorry If there are typos it's 3 am and I'we been drinking :)



Post Reply