GRE general test problem

infinityzero

GRE general test problem

Post by infinityzero » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:27 am

hi all,

I have done my engineering (mechatronics) from NSIT(Netaji subhas Institute of Technology) --2009 passout...

i am in deep trouble regarding my gre score....

I took my gre oct'09....
got (750 + 300) .....i don't know what happnd with my verbal...though my powerprep score was (740 + 490 )...now the situation is i want to apply for phd(physics)....
i am considering for physics gre....i am confident that i can score good in PGRE( last year cleared the written of TIFR too)
just need to clarify that even if i get a good score in PGRE, would i still have to improve my verbal score or i can justify that with someone else....
I have got some research experience also...
Please help...

arieszen

Re: GRE general test problem

Post by arieszen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 am

GRE general is important since the grad schools pay you for your duties as a TA/RA, (unless you get a fellowship which is difficult to get) and for that your English needs to be good enough (for TA atleast) for them. 300 is low. I would take it again. a 500-600 is acceptable if your TOEFL scores are very good (above 100/120).
Having said that Physics GRE score is more important. If you get above 900/990, and a good score in TOEFL, then explain your poor score in GRE verbal in your statement of purpose.

physics_auth

Re: GRE general test problem

Post by physics_auth » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:29 pm

arieszen wrote:GRE general is important since the grad schools pay you for your duties as a TA/RA, (unless you get a fellowship which is difficult to get) and for that your English needs to be good enough (for TA atleast) for them. 300 is low. I would take it again. a 500-600 is acceptable if your TOEFL scores are very good (above 100/120).
Having said that Physics GRE score is more important. If you get above 900/990, and a good score in TOEFL, then explain your poor score in GRE verbal in your statement of purpose.
* Yes, 300 is too low and it could cause "confusion" to somebody who is going to see your records.

* Personally, I wouldn't employ the space of my statement of purpose to justify my GRE verbal score. The purpose of SOP is something different ... . To avoid having to justify bad situations then retake GRE general test ... but I again believe that it is not worth having more than 2 trials ... from many perspectives.