Lower PGRE score than first

oeyp2000

Lower PGRE score than first

Post by oeyp2000 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:49 am

Hello,

I have been visiting this website for a while, and finally need some advice myself, so here's my story.

I called the ETS this morning to check out my score for the Nov. 7 PGRE test. To my absolute surprise, I found that I had gotten a score significantly lower than my previous PGRE score (for the Oct. 10 test). This time around I got a 630, while only a month earlier I got a 760. I would have cancelled the second test, but I felt very confident on it. I really am at a loss as to what could have happened.

So, the question is the standard one: to what extent will this regrettable mistake affect my chances for admission and funding to a good school? I was planning on applying to some top notch places (MIT, U. of Michigan, U. Illinois U.C.). Would it be unreasonable, based on these scores, to consider these schools to be within my reach?

To help answer, I will say that I am a dual major in physics and computer science with a minor in math at a somewhat obscure state school. My overall GPA is about 3.9 (on a 4.0 scale) and I have a 4.0 is my CS coursework and >3.9 in my physics coursework (I forget the exact figure).

Any thoughts?

pqortic

Re: Lower PGRE score than first

Post by pqortic » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:32 pm

oeyp2000 wrote: Would it be unreasonable, based on these scores, to consider these schools to be within my reach?
even with the first score you have low chance in those schools but there are always exceptions.
don't you have any idea why you did poor in the second test that can explained in your SOP?
if you are really sure that your score should be better than this, you may ask for rescore. however its unlikely to be a mistake in grading multiple choice tests.