GRE aspirant

kallol

GRE aspirant

Post by kallol » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:36 am

Hello friends,I am doing my MSc equivalent coursework in Physics in a reputed research Institute in India.However,I do not want to continue here (Ph.D).The thing is that they would not give me an MS if I wish to leave.

I wish to appear for general G.R.E and subject G.R.E next year (2010) August and November respectively.My school & high school results were good;I got two nationally recognized scholarship during college;however, my B.S. (undergrad) result was not so good.I need to know the chance of getting into a good enough university in the US;may not be top 15,but may be top 50!

My college teachers knew me well and they can give me recommendations.It would have been good if people here would give me a recommendation.I do not know if they will,but there is chance that they will not.
May be I will be able to get at most one recommendation.

If I be able to do good in G.R.E.s, where I may land up at last?

-kallol

blackcat007

Re: GRE aspirant

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 pm

kallol wrote:Hello friends,I am doing my MSc equivalent coursework in Physics in a reputed research Institute in India.However,I do not want to continue here (Ph.D).The thing is that they would not give me an MS if I wish to leave.

I wish to appear for general G.R.E and subject G.R.E next year (2010) August and November respectively.My school & high school results were good;I got two nationally recognized scholarship during college;however, my B.S. (undergrad) result was not so good.I need to know the chance of getting into a good enough university in the US;may not be top 15,but may be top 50!

My college teachers knew me well and they can give me recommendations.It would have been good if people here would give me a recommendation.I do not know if they will,but there is chance that they will not.
May be I will be able to get at most one recommendation.

If I be able to do good in G.R.E.s, where I may land up at last?

-kallol
please see this ..
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2561

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:49 am

kallol: As you requested, I've evaluated your profile and over the past day I collected admission statistics from every physics PhD program in the United States to estimate your chances at each institution. Here is the list of schools you're likely (more than 50%) to be admitted to, assuming an "OK" GRE score. I translated it to Indian for your convenience.

♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠

This second list is also likely to accept you, but only if you be able to do "good" on G.R.E.s
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠

Unfortunately, I never installed the special fonts needed to display foreign languages. Oh well. Hopefully you'll be able to decipher these names.

kallol

Post by kallol » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:46 am

Friend,I cannot see the schools you have written.They are coded and I do not know how to decode them.Please write them in English;you do not need to write them in any Indian language;in fact, there are 225 of them,of which I know merely two.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:34 am

quizivex wrote:kallol: As you requested, I've evaluated your profile and over the past day I collected admission statistics from every physics PhD program in the United States to estimate your chances at each institution. Here is the list of schools you're likely (more than 50%) to be admitted to, assuming an "OK" GRE score. I translated it to Indian for your convenience.

♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠

This second list is also likely to accept you, but only if you be able to do "good" on G.R.E.s
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠ ♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠
♠♠♠

Unfortunately, I never installed the special fonts needed to display foreign languages. Oh well. Hopefully you'll be able to decipher these names.

(courtesy grae)

kallol

Post by kallol » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:51 am

Are you people joking with me?

kallol

Post by kallol » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:02 am

OK...I will search myself....

you should not harrass one like this...

twistor

Post by twistor » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:01 pm

I don't know what the hell he's talking about.

I can read them just fine.

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

I think number one and four in the second list are impossible with these records.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:28 pm

you guys are assholes :)

kallol

Post by kallol » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:32 pm

what I am seeing are a cluster of "spade"s used for playing cards...I do not know what is going on here...

If I have hurt anyone,I am sorry;but I cannot see anything.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:49 am

i gave you a link to go through.. seems you haven't gone through that..

kallol

Post by kallol » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 am

Yea...I went through it after the second reply by 'quizivex'-who sent a cluster of black colour 'spade's.It says I should not be asking these sorts of questions in this forum,without doing proper search by myself.I would not have taken more interest in this thread if quizivex did not give me that "coded" reply.

I still do not know if he has truly posted something or tried to harass me.In fact, twistor claimed he can see it fine...

If you want me not to post questions like this,there are proper ways to deal with that.One could have said that.But what these people did,cannot be justified,for neither did they help, nor they told me what I should do.It is better to close this thread as it turned out to be wastage of time for me...and probably you too.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:11 am

I still do not know if he has truly posted something or tried to harass me.In fact, twistor claimed he can see it fine...
are you still confused about the joke?? :lol:
kallol wrote: If you want me not to post questions like this,there are proper ways to deal with that.One could have said that.But what these people did,cannot be justified,for neither did they help, nor they told me what I should do.It is better to close this thread as it turned out to be wastage of time for me...and probably you too.
see, its not that we don't want your posts here, but answering same questions for 100 users is not feasible and it manifests lax from your side too. there is a clear post saying "read this before posting" it has all your answers.. (the same link that i gave you), you have to know that the education and admission process in US schools are very different and is not like that in India(i am also from india) ..
hope this helps.. :)

kallol

Post by kallol » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:16 am

Yes,now I can follow that was really a 'joke'.Then it's fine.

I know that US system is so different form ours.But I am little unfamiliar with that...Let me search first...

Thank you.