Offer to Take General GRE Again

Andromeda

Offer to Take General GRE Again

Post by Andromeda » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi all,

Came back from break to find I got an odd letter in wake of taking the General GRE last month- turns out they determined their computer wasn't selecting from a wide enough range of questions in my verbal section for some odd reason, so in turn I was offered a voucher to take the General GRE for free again. As I got a 550 on verbal and think that's fine enough so I won't worry about it, but I was wondering if this ever happened to someone else? Or what would cause the computer to not select from a wide enough range of questions? If it's just a computer program I can't imagine why such a problem would arise (or even more interestingly, how they'd catch it unless this happens often enough that they need to be vigilant).

Thanks. :)

meowful

Re: Offer to Take General GRE Again

Post by meowful » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:05 pm

The same thing happened to me with my Verbal score! Like you I don't think I'm going to bother using the voucher to take the test again. Did you notice anything while you were taking the test? I noticed that questions were much easier than in my practice tests.

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Well, I confess I didn't take many practice tests to figure that one out really. :wink: That and I had two verbals so I can't really say which was the "real" one...

Hmm now I wonder if this happens to people for math or not?

PoincareSection

Post by PoincareSection » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:50 am

That's so weird!

When I took the general GRE, I had one verbal and one math section. I thought that you were given an experimental section (either verbal or math), but I wasn't given one at all.

You should write them back and say instead of them paying for you to take the test again, they should use the money to upgrade their monitors.... or maybe buy some plain white scrap paper instead of the BRIGHT YELLOW paper they have.

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Bright yellow? Mine was a normal color... My testing center also had pencils that had "official lucky pencil" written on the side of them. Apparently the woman in charge of the center got really annoyed at all the students getting upset about not being able to use their lucky pencils. :)