really really REALLY bad PGRE scores... what now?

stardust

Re: really really REALLY bad PGRE scores... what now?

Post by stardust » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:43 am

I would be very surprised if they let ether send photocopies of scores to schools. We all could
save money doing that. I think ETS maybe would discount the price of an exam for
need, but I don't think the schools will bend their rules. It doesn't seem fair that would
be no real way to save money for score reporting. ETS probably won't discount and the
schools will say its not their responsibility. I think its one of those issues that will fall through
the cracks. I always tell myself, well, I'll make up that money at a later date.

Did you get anywhere with that ether?

happymonkey

Post by happymonkey » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:48 am

florida state - that's all I'm saying &/or change your interests to astrophysics if you really need to get in somewhere next year :wink:

scallions

Post by scallions » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Update!

Rutgers did receive my dismal score and just asked me to verify... but! also mentioned they are probably going to have a TA position open they might be able to offer me and want me to come down and talk to them about it! Regarding my score, I'm just emailing back "I was surprised by how low it was but given the rest of my application I do not think it was an accurate indicator of my abilities" and leaving it at that. But the fact that they still are considering me even after seeing my scores? Really makes me happy :)

I also wound up with a 4.0 semester (including QM out of Sakurai yesss!) which really helped lift my spirits and self-confidence.

So while it's not the immediate acceptance I was hoping for months ago, I think that's pretty hopeful!

lyrero

Post by lyrero » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:13 am

Well, all that I can say is that when I received my practice test from mail, I did inmediatly, only remembering what I could from my past courses in that moment...and, 490 points at that time was considered by myself as VERY BAD. So I´m eating the library´s Resnick´s Fundamentals of Physics, I think it represents the biggest contribution to my future GRE. But that means organize my time, because my thesis research and those 4th year courses are not as easy as the junior ones were. My letters of recommendation can be very helpful, as my grades do. If I can only score 750-800, oh, I can make history in my school, because it is very new (only 4 complete generations of graduates until now)...even more, win a place in a U.S. graduate school.