General GRE Scores

earthdweller67

General GRE Scores

Post by earthdweller67 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:23 pm

I (domestic student) recently took the General GRE after about a month of prep and I received a 330 for my unofficial score (Verbal: 161, Quant: 169 :oops: ). 161 on Verbal corresponds to approximately 88% percentile and 169 on Quant corresponds to approximately 95% percentile. I don't have my writing score back yet but I'm not expecting it to be so hot (maybe between 3.5 and 4.5).

I was wondering if I should take the General GRE again? I generally performed better on my mock exams (~165 Verbal and ~170 Quant), so I think I can definitely score higher if I retake. Also I have the time to take it again as I am not applying until next fall. I am aiming for top 10-20 schools, so I think my Verbal score might be a bit low especially for a domestic student. What do y'all think? Thanks!

neutrinos

Re: General GRE Scores

Post by neutrinos » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm

In my experience the general GRE score matters very little, it is more of a formality. As long as you didn't totally fail it (you didn't), it is unlikely that it would make any difference in your applications. I was told by my undergrad advisor as long as I had over a 85% in math I was fine and they barely looked at the verbal.

If money isn't an issue, taking it again couldn't hurt, but your time would be better suited doing research, emailing potential advisors, or working on your personal statement.