Del

gaugeinvariance

Del

Post by gaugeinvariance » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Del
Last edited by gaugeinvariance on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geekusprimus

Re: Should I retake the TOEFL exam?

Post by geekusprimus » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:24 am

A 105 is good enough for a lot of schools, but not all schools. You should definitely work on improving your English-speaking abilities; my (very brief) search of a few schools seems to suggest that a low speaking score is the most likely deal-breaker when it comes to English language tests.

gaugeinvariance

Del

Post by gaugeinvariance » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 am

Del
Last edited by gaugeinvariance on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geekusprimus

Post by geekusprimus » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:34 pm

By the way, you mentioned that you have searched for a few information about speaking scores as a deal-breaker, could you list where you find those information?
I just looked up admissions details at a few schools (Princeton, Georgia Tech, Penn State, and BYU, just to get a good range), and a few of them said things to the effect of, "We look very closely at TOEFL scores, particularly speaking scores." A lot of schools indicated that they, in addition to wanting TOEFL scores, will have an English language examination of their own, often in the form of something like a phone interview after applying or after being accepted. In my own experience, no matter how brilliant they are, my international classmates who don't have strong speaking skills often struggle because it's so hard to express themselves clearly and effectively.

That being said, I completely understand your pain with speaking. I'm a native English speaker, but I did learn Spanish. I can read it and write it reasonably well, but I haven't really had a lot of chances to speak with native speakers (being in the United States, their English is generally better than my Spanish), so listening and speaking are very difficult.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:49 am

Caltech doesn’t require TOEFL for admission.
In the application form it is stated:
Although not required for admission, for applicants whose native language is not English or who have not received a degree from a university or college where English is the primary language of instruction, it is important to demonstrate a strong capability in English.
So, there is no need to retake it at this stage.

I believe TOEFL test score is just a formality because they need to issue visa letters for the students they admit. It is not used to compare applicants to decide who gets the admission. The rest of your profile is used for that purpose. If you are good enough, they will ask you to prove your english proficiency later on.

HubbleBubble

Post by HubbleBubble » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:28 pm

While the importance of the TOEFL specifically might vary from school to school, I know for a fact that language ability is major factor in admissions. Many international profiles on this website with near perfect scores might face all rejections, and one of the most common reasons is that their applications had grammatical errors. Granted, funding schemes are different for internationals which can lead to just a few spots available to a larger applicant pool. Even so, British, Canadian, and Australian profiles tend to do much better in US admissions than Chinese and Indian profiles with higher GPA and GRE scores and more research results. Despite facing the same funding barriers, the former applicants are not hindered by poorly written essays. Advisers want to be able to easily communicate with their students and not have to correct a large number of language errors in paper drafts etc. So, at minimum, I suggest you have more than one native English speaker look over your application materials.

gaugeinvariance

Del

Post by gaugeinvariance » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:15 am

Del

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:29 am

does my TOEFL scores enough to get into these schools?
good TOEFL scores are necessary but not sufficient
Would TOEFL scores be one of the factor for students selection?
TOEFL scores, logically, aren't used to compare applicant A vs applicant B.
It is used to assess whether an applicant has sufficient proficiency of the English language to study at grad school level.
Would my TOEFL scores in speaking hurts, especially if I wanted to be admitted into these TOP-TIER schools?
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on what the AdCom has for breakfast when looking at your files.

If they think it is lacking, they could ask for interview or ask you to fulfill the score requirement before a certain deadline.
If the rest of your files are not good enough anyway, they'll reject.
Which schools would I probably failed to get into with my current TOEFL scores?
You'll be failed/accepted mainly by your physics aptitude and not by TOEFL scores.
This means from your SOP, GPA, Recommendations, Publications, etc.