Should I take the General GRE Test?

gaugeinvariance

Should I take the General GRE Test?

Post by gaugeinvariance » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 am

Dear All

I am an international physics student that are planning to apply for graduate studies in the U.S. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I noticed that many of the schools in the U.S. have waived the G.R.E requirements. As far as I know, the P.G.R.E. are mostly not required. However, I can still divide them into three category according to the requirements of General G.R.E test

1. Schools specifying clearly the general G.R.E is not required
2. Schools specifying the general G.R.E. is optional
3. Schools seems not yet updated any information about G.R.E test requirement with regard to the pandemic

Meanwhile I am able to search for some test centers in my homeland, however, I am still wondering whether I should take a general G.R.E test. The reason is the that, only 7 out of 2x something of the schools that I am applying to fall on category 2. I am unsure whether submitting an G.R.E test results to those schools will provide bonus point when compared with those do not, I have sent several e-mails and I am still waiting for their reply. On the other hand, suspending G.R.E test could provide me more time on research and save cost for another TOEFL test if I do not perform well for the coming test. What do you all think? Do you think suspending the G.R.E test will be a good choice?

Appendix:
Well the list shows the schools that I am applying to and they are divided according to the above mentioned category. My major field of interest is numerical simulation and modelling of high energy astrophysical phenomena, such as white dwarfs, black hole, neutron stars, possibly also numerical relativity.

Category 1:
Cornell
Caltech
Georgia Tech
Northwestern
UIUC
UC Santa Barbra
Notre Dame
Washington State
Penn State
UC Santa Cruz
Stony Brook
Carnegie Mellon
Arizona
MIT
Harvard
Virginia

Category 2:
Princeton
UC Boulder
Stanford
John Hopkins
Pittsburgh
North Carolina State
Maryland

Category 3:
R.I.T
West Virginia
Purdue

Nishikata

Re: Should I take the General GRE Test?

Post by Nishikata » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:31 pm

whether taking general GRE for your category 2 schools will help you or not depends on your score.
There may be a slight benefit of assurance, if your scores are stellar. Yet if so, perhaps your other application components are already good anyway.

However, GRE may hurt you bad if your score is low.

More risk than benefit, I do not recommend taking it for this time.