MIT drops GRE and PGRE

Act2021

MIT drops GRE and PGRE

Post by Act2021 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am

Just saw that MIT will not accept the GRE or PGRE for applications starting this fall . . . anyone hear of any other schools doing the same

qxer

Re: MIT drops GRE and PGRE

Post by qxer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:04 am

Harvard following in similar footsteps:
The Harvard Physics PhD program will not be accepting Physics or General GRE scores for the upcoming admissions cycle with application deadline December 15, 2020. Please do not submit GRE scores to us or mention them anywhere in your application. Note that this new policy may not be reflected on all Harvard University websites yet. Note also that several other graduate physics programs have made similar changes to their GRE policies, so please be sure to check in with any programs to which you will be applying. Questions about our policy should be directed to the Department of Physics at gradinfo@physics.harvard.edu.
Might be good to compile all these schools into some list…

qxer

Post by qxer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:47 am

From UChicago:
The UChicago Physics Department is not accepting General GRE or Physics GRE scores for applications for graduate admission in the 2020-2021 application cycle. We recognize that the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the circumstances under which testing would need to occur, either in person or remotely, and believe these to be overly burdensome for applicants. All applications will be given full consideration, without reference to GRE scores which should not be mentioned anywhere in any student’s application.

geekusprimus

Post by geekusprimus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:24 am

Cornell is doing the same. Princeton is making both optional. I suspect more schools will announce their decisions closer to the start of fall semester.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 am

hopefully they postpone the TOEFL to post-offer requirements too.

Act2021

Post by Act2021 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:34 am

UPENN optional too

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:09 am

"Yale Physics will not be accepting the General GRE and Physics GRE scores for applications received by December 15, 2020"

HubbleBubble

Post by HubbleBubble » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:20 am

If you look at exams from the 1990’s, they were genuinely difficult, focused on advanced topics, and reflected actual qualifying exams. These days the Physics GRE is easy and just reflects how quickly you can answer questions. I found only my intro physics course was useful preparation, and I doubt the 2020 exam was a very good predictor of PhD success, neither in coursework nor research. Even if gender/racial disparities could have been addressed in other ways, I think this is a good move in terms of getting the smartest PhD students.
Nishikata wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:09 am
"Yale Physics will not be accepting the General GRE and Physics GRE scores for applications received by December 15, 2020"
Yale Astro too.

EDIT: I guess I was implicitly assuming the COVID motivated change would be permanent, which is topic unto itself.

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:34 am

caltech too.
Important graduate admissions update: due to the COVID-19 pandemic scores for the GRE General and GRE Subject exams will neither be required nor accepted on applications to the Physics program for the entering cohort of Fall 2021. Please do not indicate these scores anywhere on your application. This statement overrides any mention of the GRE you may find on our website.

ramontuvares

Post by ramontuvares » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:46 am

Compiled this list of the current GRE policies at a number of schools.
General and physics tests not required or considered:
  • MIT
  • Caltech
  • Harvard
  • Berkeley
  • Cornell
  • U of Chicago
  • Columbia
  • UCSB
  • Yale
  • U Michigan
  • U Wisconsin
  • U Washington
  • Stony Brook
General and physics tests optional:
  • Stanford
  • Princeton
  • Boulder
  • U Penn
  • UCLA
  • UCSD
Both typically required, no update due to COVID:
  • UT Austin
  • Ohio State
General required, physics optional:
  • UIUC

indigo

Post by indigo » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:16 am

Both UIUC Astro and Physics departments have made it optional/canceled GRE for current cycle.
https://physics.illinois.edu/admissions ... ments.html
https://astro.illinois.edu/admissions/g ... admissions