Bad quant Gre score

Nikos3101

Bad quant Gre score

Post by Nikos3101 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:37 am

Hello, I am an international student ,just graduated and want to continue my studies in the US (Solar and space physics).I have an great GPA (top 2% in my school) and a first author publication in MNRAS, also my recomendetion letter will be very good.The only prblem is that i have just taken my Gre test and raw score was
155 verbal
158 quant :? (i have a neck injury that causes me severe migraines after hours of crouching,so i was n able to think clear)

Do you think i should retake the test in 21 days,can a first author publication save the day?
Ιn my SoP could I adress this issue?
Also, would it be bad to ask some University professors their opinion?

Thanks a lot

Nishikata

Re: Bad quant Gre score

Post by Nishikata » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Aren’t space programs protected to Americans or Permanent Residents? I always thought it contains many confidential information belonging to the country that internationals might be difficult to be eligible for funding or projects. :D

Anyway, your biggest problem is English. There are many spelling errors in your post that screams “I don’t speak english” to your profile. Get a proofreader before submitting your application, please.

About retaking GRE, I don’t think you can make the mid-dec deadline 21 days from now.
Regardless, you should only retake it if you think you can improve. If it is a physical injury as you said, it will affect you again even if you retake the test. So maybe find a school that doesn’t require GRE scores.

It is never a bad idea to ask university professors that you know well from your university for advice.

However, US professors who don’t know you perhaps would be too busy or too bored to reply to applicants’ emails at this late stage.

geekusprimus

Post by geekusprimus » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:00 pm

Nishikata wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:34 pm
Aren’t space programs protected to Americans or Permanent Residents? I always thought it contains many confidential information belonging to the country that internationals might be difficult to be eligible for funding or projects. :D
You'd be surprised at the programs in the US that are open to foreign nationals. You probably won't be allowed to work at any lab in a military base because you have to have a security clearance just to step onto the base, but pretty much all the national labs and places like NASA have some positions that are available to foreign nationals. Universities will be even less restrictive unless a professor's project is closely linked to a government institution.

Nikos3101

Post by Nikos3101 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:21 am

Nishikata wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:34 pm

Anyway, your biggest problem is English. There are many spelling errors in your post that screams “I don’t speak english” to your profile. Get a proofreader before submitting your application, please.

About retaking GRE, I don’t think you can make the mid-dec deadline 21 days from now.
Regardless, you should only retake it if you think you can improve. If it is a physical injury as you said, it will affect you again even if you retake the test. So maybe find a school that doesn’t require GRE scores.

It is never a bad idea to ask university professors that you know well from your university for advice.

However, US professors who don’t know you perhaps would be too busy or too bored to reply to applicants’ emails at this late stage.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Do you think I could mention the reason I didn't do well (injury) on my SoP ?

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:53 am

I don’t see that would help you.

If you insist in bringing your medical condition, then you need to upload a medical certificate from a physician as well in order for people to take your words seriously. It has to clearly state that injury and its implications to your performance by the physician.

Everyone gets some headache when facing 100 physics problems in 170 minutes costing 150 dollars, so you need to make it a valid medical condition to be considered positively.

Again, I don’t see how that will help you unless there is a PI who would voluntarily take someone who will not be able to concentrate for 3 hours straight, but it is better than being seen as making excuses for incompetence. It is probably better to leave out GRE scores where possible and focus on your positives.