General GRE score

nafiz

General GRE score

Post by nafiz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:22 pm

I am a physics student from Bangladesh. A few days ago I took the general GRE and my unofficial score is 319 ( Verbal:159, Quant:160). I will apply to US universities in fall 2020. Is my quant score good enough for getting admission in mid-rank universities ( ranked 50 to 100 ) if I can do well in the PGRE? Please help, I am really confused about my situation.

Nishikata

Re: General GRE score

Post by Nishikata » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 am

Hi Nafiz,

First, the admission considers all aspects of your profile. GRE score is only one factor.
I think your score should not be a problem, in a sense that it doesn't disqualify you for further assessment.
To get admitted, however, is really about getting yourself as one of the best candidates who apply to their school.
This requires more than just not getting disqualified. (a hard truth that I learned from all my rejections)

A good pGRE would help, but you have to be creative in maximizing your chances beyond getting a good score.
this may mean getting in touch with professors of interest, obtaining strong letters of recommendation from reputable professors in the field, or anything else.

Hope this helps.
Nishikata.

nafiz

Post by nafiz » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:10 am

Thanks a lot for your reply Nishikata. I am confused whether I should retake the general GRE. If I try hard enough, probably I can increase my quant score 3-4 points more. Is retaking worth it? or should I concentrate on my PGRE preparation which I will take in September/October?

Nishikata

Post by Nishikata » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:48 am

Hi Nafiz,

General GRE and Physics GRE are two different preparations, but that doesn't mean you can only prepare for one of them.
Studying on alternate days could be a good method. After all, you won't be fully studying everyday for pGRE in the next five months.

If I were you, I would be more concerned to increase the verbal score. It is a psychological thing, I see scores < 160 all the same, and scores > 160 all the same (except 170). So I will feel adequate if I can get scores above 160 in both. I do not know about how the admission committee thinks about this. My guess is that there'll be a cutoff that you should avoid (exactly where, nobody knows), but you still need to reach a high score to have your GRE score as a strong point (not just a neutral point).

nafiz

Post by nafiz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm