Chances of Not high PGRE for not top US Physics grad schools

CWL

Chances of Not high PGRE for not top US Physics grad schools

Post by CWL » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:18 am

I am an international student. My major is computer science during my undergrad and I am planning to apply to Physics grad schools, i.e. a background mismatch.
I was not able to take Physics courses throughout my undergrad because my department deprived all my time. So I turn to PGRE.
I got a PGRE with 800 and corresponding percentile 66%.
I know it's a minus to use this score to apply for top physics schools but what about schools with ranking around 50(US NEWs)?
( something like University of Rochester/Pittsburg).
I have seen some posts on this site discussing about similar topics but those I can find are all too dated, like a decade ago.

I cannot risk adding any materials that make professors down-vote my application :( , so I hesitate with this score.
*PS. For the time being, assume that retaking the text is not an option since nobody knows when the PGRE would reopen.

phygre123

Re: Chances of Not high PGRE for not top US Physics grad schools

Post by phygre123 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:34 am

del
Last edited by phygre123 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWL

Post by CWL » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

phygre123 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:34 am
CWL wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:18 am
I am an international student. My major is computer science during my undergrad and I am planning to apply to Physics grad schools, i.e. a background mismatch.
I was not able to take Physics courses throughout my undergrad because my department deprived all my time. So I turn to PGRE.
I got a PGRE with 800 and corresponding percentile 66%.
I know it's a minus to use this score to apply for top physics schools but what about schools with ranking around 50(US NEWs)?
( something like University of Rochester/Pittsburg).
I have seen some posts on this site discussing about similar topics but those I can find are all too dated, like a decade ago.

I cannot risk adding any materials that make professors down-vote my application :( , so I hesitate with this score.
*PS. For the time being, assume that retaking the text is not an option since nobody knows when the PGRE would reopen.
If you think 800 will hurt your application because you didn't have physics background, then try to reach 900. I got same score like yours, and I am trying to get 900 in my next attempt for the admission. However, 800 is not bad if you are from physics background.
Well, I am asking for ideas in this post whether 800 would hurt my application for physics programs ranking near 50 in US? Since all PGRE tests are closed down for the time being, I may still end up with this only score for the coming application cycle(have to prepare for that :( ). If there are future chances to retake, I'll definitely pursue 900+.

phygre123

Post by phygre123 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 am

del
Last edited by phygre123 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcentag

Post by mcentag » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:07 pm

CWL wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am
Well, I am asking for ideas in this post whether 800 would hurt my application for physics programs ranking near 50 in US? Since all PGRE tests are closed down for the time being, I may still end up with this only score for the coming application cycle(have to prepare for that :( ). If there are future chances to retake, I'll definitely pursue 900+.
I would consider it pretty important that you try to pursue a very high pGRE. The profs reviewing your application will want to make sure your undergrad physics preparation is strong enough to become a good researcher. Applying with a CS degree will be certainly be useful to profs doing computation, but without a physics degree the only way you can show your physics knowledge is by emphasizing junior- and senior-level physics classes you've taken, as well as a high pGRE.
Even at top-50 schools, professors will question the depth of your physics knowledge with an 800 pGRE and no physics major, so it's definitely worth to keep practicing.