how many post docs necessary for a job ?

Rodya

how many post docs necessary for a job ?

Post by Rodya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:32 am

I read scary stories about people being unable to get jobs after their post-docs. Does anyone have any idea that how long does it take one to get into a permanent job after Ph.D. in Physics ? Is it ever possible that you may end up jobless even after a couple of or more post-docs ? Folks, do pass some advise.

WhoaNonstop

Re: how many post docs necessary for a job ?

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:10 am

Rodya wrote:I read scary stories about people being unable to get jobs after their post-docs. Does anyone have any idea that how long does it take one to get into a permanent job after Ph.D. in Physics ? Is it ever possible that you may end up jobless even after a couple of or more post-docs ? Folks, do pass some advise.
It is possible you could end up jobless doing any type of degree. Let me tell you what I think, and this is in general for everything (and should be common sense). If you do a wonderful job in your graduate studies and put much effort towards your post-doc jobs, you shouldn't have to worry about getting a job. Motivated, persistent people get jobs.

-Riley

admissionprof

Post by admissionprof » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:17 am

WhoaNonstop wrote:
Rodya wrote:I read scary stories about people being unable to get jobs after their post-docs. Does anyone have any idea that how long does it take one to get into a permanent job after Ph.D. in Physics ? Is it ever possible that you may end up jobless even after a couple of or more post-docs ? Folks, do pass some advise.
It is possible you could end up jobless doing any type of degree. Let me tell you what I think, and this is in general for everything (and should be common sense). If you do a wonderful job in your graduate studies and put much effort towards your post-doc jobs, you shouldn't have to worry about getting a job. Motivated, persistent people get jobs.

-Riley
It depends on your field. Someone in condensed matter or AMO experiment will be able to get a job outside of academia much more easily than a string theorist. In theory, I've known of people to take five postdocs (10-12 years) before getting a faculty job (two is more normal though). In experiment, it takes less time, but is more economy-dependent. A million dollar start-up package for a new faculty member is not as easy to put together these days.

Rodya

Post by Rodya » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 am

Yea. I have found a guy in MIT working in experimental Condensed Matter Physics in his 6th year as post-doc and is still finding difficult to get a job. He is a foreigner though. It kinda scares me .

t2kburl

Post by t2kburl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:30 am

This is probably the biggest concern I have about taking the Astronomy path. From the information I've found, most post docs make less than I do now as an Associate Degree technician! (not very much!) That would make those student loan bills tough to handle.
Certainly a more applied track would be more likely to result in a better income. But it is a trade off between doing what you want to do and what you want for a lifestyle in the long run.
Personally, I've been broke long enough, so engineering is looking more attractive every day. Good thing since it appears that may be my only option. :oops: