Letting gradschool know about low scored class at a top scho

ashowmega

Letting gradschool know about low scored class at a top scho

Post by ashowmega » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi there,

I am a rising senior and would be applying to graduate school coming fall. I come from a small liberal arts college which has no reputation in Physics whatsoever. My overall GPA is 3.7 and so is subject GPA. This summer, as part of my internship, I took a 2-weeks class (semester long class crushed in for 2 weeks) at MIT. The class was not on what I really am interested on and I ended up with a B (mainly due to the final at the end of 2nd week). So, I am getting credit for the class, but I am wondering if I shall let graduate schools I apply to know about this class? I understand that A would have been really helpful but I wonder if they know about this B, would it hurt me?

Anyone out there with any idea about this?

Thanks!

ashowmega

Re: Letting gradschool know about low scored class at a top scho

Post by ashowmega » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Ok, I am not sure if I put the question in the wrong way or nobody is interested on this! :D Let me rephrase it again. So, I took this 2 weeks intensive class worth of 3 MIT credits. I do not have 2 of the three prerequisite for the class. I got a B in the class which was manly due to a final exam. Now, I am questioning how good is a B from MIT? Is it worth showing it on the transcript provided that one has option to show or now to show?

I hope to hear from somebody this time...

thanks!

meggo

Post by meggo » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:18 pm

Being honest and mentioning the class is probably a good idea. If anything, I think it would be more likely seen as you trying to push the boundaries of your abilities and not you lacking perfect grades.

Also, I doubt that a B in one class would hurt your application, because your grades won't make or break you unless they're either completely perfect or really horrible. Remember that your application is also very heavily influenced by your GRE scores, your research, any extracurricular stuff you do (if you do anything substantial), and your letters of recommendation.

ashowmega

Post by ashowmega » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 pm

meggo wrote:Being honest and mentioning the class is probably a good idea. If anything, I think it would be more likely seen as you trying to push the boundaries of your abilities and not you lacking perfect grades.

Also, I doubt that a B in one class would hurt your application, because your grades won't make or break you unless they're either completely perfect or really horrible. Remember that your application is also very heavily influenced by your GRE scores, your research, any extracurricular stuff you do (if you do anything substantial), and your letters of recommendation.

Thank you for the suggestion!