Is it okay not to take the second quarter of Quantum?

InquilineKea

Is it okay not to take the second quarter of Quantum?

Post by InquilineKea » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:06 pm

I don't want to take the second quarter of quantum mechanics, since I can easily self-study the material and since I'd prefer to take graduate level courses in some other field instead. It's not required for the physics major here. Does it matter that much if I don't take it?

Same goes for classical mechanics (although it's more because the teachers teaching it have very negative reputations).

EDIT: Okay, for clarification, I'm only talking about whether or not it will matter for admissions (I actually generally do learn better through self-study than through courses). And mostly with respect to astrophysics grad school.
Last edited by InquilineKea on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twistor

Re: Is it okay not to take the second quarter of Quantum?

Post by twistor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:09 pm

I'd strongly recommend you take it if you plan on pursuing graduate studies. It will be more useful on the GRE than graduate physics classes and you don't want to be behind when you start graduate school. Anyway, you will take all the graduate courses you need in grad school so don't be in such a hurry to get to them.