How B's Grade are critical to get admission

jamess

How B's Grade are critical to get admission

Post by jamess » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:35 pm

Hellow I'm international student in Aisa.
Now, I'm aiming for top 10-50 schools in Quantum Optics and Quantum Information. Also I interested in theory rather than experiment.
Surely, I want to go in Top schools in Physics, But practically I give up.. :cry:

But I got some B's grade on major course(fortunately there is no C in major)

Modern Physics B+
E&M B-
Statistical mechanics B-
Quantum Physics 2 B+

Even EM, QM2 and St Mech is very very important course... I got B. :|
Do you think B's grade on core subjects are so critical to get admission for me? and How?
I'm so wondering how do I compensate my spots. :|

My planning is to take same courses in gradulate level which I got B grade and I hope to show my improvement..
but I'm not sure that can appeal to commitee even I got A in that courses

One more thing... I heard that getting admit in theory is more difficult than that in experiment..
For Quantum Optics and Quantum Information, the gap of level of difficulty between theory and exp. is huge?

Additional information on me is below

GPA is 3.7/3.6(major/overall in 4.0 scale)
I have finished 3rd grade and 2yr is required for double major(Physics and Physics Education)
I got 48 credit in major and 86/130 credit overall(I think my credits are so low comparing with my registration semester-6 semester, that's because I got just 17 credit in Freshman)
Um...my school is top school in physics and other fields in my nation...
Untill now, I have no experience but from now on, I'll take it!

zxcv

Re: How B's Grade are critical to get admission

Post by zxcv » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:52 am

Hi jamess,

How have you done in other advanced physics courses? How do your grades compare to those of other students at your school? A B average in upper division major courses would not be a good sign for a domestic (US) applicant and the standards are only higher for international students.

More importantly, do you have any research experience? A demonstrated ability to do research (even if you haven't written any papers) is the most important part of your application. As an international applicant with average grades, I would not recommend applying without research experience. If you're serious about doing physics, you should take time off and get some research experience, even if it's not in the exact field you are most interested in.

jamess

Post by jamess » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 am

zxcv wrote:Hi jamess,

How have you done in other advanced physics courses? How do your grades compare to those of other students at your school? A B average in upper division major courses would not be a good sign for a domestic (US) applicant and the standards are only higher for international students.

More importantly, do you have any research experience? A demonstrated ability to do research (even if you haven't written any papers) is the most important part of your application. As an international applicant with average grades, I would not recommend applying without research experience. If you're serious about doing physics, you should take time off and get some research experience, even if it's not in the exact field you are most interested in.

I'm very pleased for your thankful reply..

Fortunately I got many A grade in other physics major course, so my average major grade is 3.7/4.0 over 48 credits(I wrote it above). And my position in my class is near top.
Now, Cause of double major(Physics and Physics Education) I have many major class to take(and want to take) so If I study hard, my major GPA can grow upto ~3.8
And What's the meaning of AB average? Did you mean 3.5/4.0 ?

On Research experience, I'll follow your advice zxcv.
I'm planning to do it at my senior and excess semester for 2years. But I'm not sure whether I can publish paper on journal :(

zxcv

Post by zxcv » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:30 am

Hi jamess,

By "A B average" I meant "A 3.0/4.0 average."

Publishing a paper isn't essential, but getting serious research experience is. Grad schools don't like to admit people without it because otherwise it is hard to tell if they are prepared for grad school or truly interested in it. Research is far different from classes. Ultimately, if you do well in research, it can overcome less than the best grades. If you don't get publications, you will need to be sure you get strong letters of recommendation, ideally from professors familiar with the US educational system. Things like a strong GRE scores and publications are especially important for foreign applicants because they are objective measures that the admissions committee for a US school can look at even if they do not know the professors you worked with or your undergraduate institution.