What if I get a NC(no credit) grade in an general education course?

Jun

What if I get a NC(no credit) grade in an general education course?

Post by Jun » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 pm

Unfortunately, I will very likely get an NC grade (no credit) in an elective general education course. Although "no credit" means it is excluded from my GPA, I heard that NC is often regarded as a D or F. Is it so terrible to have an NC grade on my transcript?
(this course is 1 credit and graded based on the P/NC scale: If I do this course well, I will only get a P)

Nightzeit

Re: What if I get a NC(no credit) grade in an general education course?

Post by Nightzeit » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:05 pm

I think the answer to this might depend on some factors.
  • Was there a "good reason" you didn't pass? If so, perhaps make note of this somewhere in your application. Admissions committees are humans.
  • How recent was this? Failing a course your senior year looks worse than failing a course your freshman year, all else equal.
  • How far off from physics was this? If this was a STEM gen ed, such as a computer science course, it will probably look a lot worse than if it's a completely unrelated course, such as art history, which a lot of schools won't care much about.
  • Does NC mean D/F at your school? what exactly is the requirement for getting a P? If it's "not as bad as it looks," just let them know this.
Overall, if the rest of your transcript is strong, you probably shouldn't worry too much.

Another option is to withdrawal if it's not too late. I suggest you talk to your academic advisor before making this choice. A W will look better than an NC, but sticking it out might benefit you more, educationally.

Jun

Post by Jun » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 pm

Nightzeit wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:05 pm
I think the answer to this might depend on some factors.
  • Was there a "good reason" you didn't pass? If so, perhaps make note of this somewhere in your application. Admissions committees are humans.
  • How recent was this? Failing a course your senior year looks worse than failing a course your freshman year, all else equal.
  • How far off from physics was this? If this was a STEM gen ed, such as a computer science course, it will probably look a lot worse than if it's a completely unrelated course, such as art history, which a lot of schools won't care much about.
  • Does NC mean D/F at your school? what exactly is the requirement for getting a P? If it's "not as bad as it looks," just let them know this.
Overall, if the rest of your transcript is strong, you probably shouldn't worry too much.

Another option is to withdrawal if it's not too late. I suggest you talk to your academic advisor before making this choice. A W will look better than an NC, but sticking it out might benefit you more, educationally.
Thank you for your reply.

There is not a good reason I won't pass. I missed a deadline for one of its activities because I am busy (I have another 6 math and physics courses this semester), but the course instructor is really rigorous so I will not pass (He told me "I will not extend the deadline for you. You will not get an F after all.").
I am in a five-year program and this course is in my third year.
The course is totally irrelevant to physics. It is neither a STEM course nor an art and literature course. It is a mandatory but very special(it is worth one-credit) course designed for transfer students to get used to the new school.
Yes, NC means D/F in my school. The requirement of getting a P for me is merely not missing the deadline.

Could you please give me some specific advice?

Nightzeit

Post by Nightzeit » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:17 pm

Jun wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 pm
The course is totally irrelevant to physics. It is neither a STEM course nor an art and literature course. It is a mandatory but very special(it is worth one-credit) course designed for transfer students to get used to the new school.
This course sounds like a stupid one. While I don't know what the curriculum or assignments entailed, I have seen other similiar courses introducing students to being in a university and I assume this course is on paar with those. If the course is totally irrelevant and the rest of your transcript is strong, especially in physics, math, and other stem courses (and in that order of relevance), then I think that no one will care much that you didn't pass. Additionally, being NC means that it wont even affect your overall GPA. While it is obviously always better to have P than NC, I really doubt admissions committees or anyone else will worry about your ability to do physics based on not passing a course that assumably holds no relevence outside of your university. They might not even care to look up what NC means when they see a course of so little relevence. So, don't sweat the small stuff

Jun

Post by Jun » Wed Dec 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Nightzeit wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:17 pm
Jun wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:23 pm
This course sounds like a stupid one. While I don't know what the curriculum or assignments entailed, I have seen other similiar courses introducing students to being in a university and I assume this course is on paar with those. If the course is totally irrelevant and the rest of your transcript is strong, especially in physics, math, and other stem courses (and in that order of relevance), then I think that no one will care much that you didn't pass. Additionally, being NC means that it wont even affect your overall GPA. While it is obviously always better to have P than NC, I really doubt admissions committees or anyone else will worry about your ability to do physics based on not passing a course that assumably holds no relevence outside of your university. They might not even care to look up what NC means when they see a course of so little relevence. So, don't sweat the small stuff
Thanks.

MatijaSever

Post by MatijaSever » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:33 am

Jun wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 pm
Unfortunately, I will very likely get an NC grade (no https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/) in an elective general education course. Although "no credit" means it is excluded from my GPA, I heard that NC is often regarded as a D or F. Is it so terrible to have an NC grade on my Sharp edge knives?
(this course is 1 credit and graded based on the P/NC scale: If I do this course well, I will only get a P)

It depends on the context. Generally, employers and graduate programs won't take into account an NC grade when assessing your application. However, if this is the only course you have that is graded on a P/NC scale, it might be worth considering doing it for a letter grade in order to demonstrate your competency in the subject. Ultimately, it's your choice and it's important to weigh all your options. Good luck!