Extremely worried and stressed

actualidiot123

Extremely worried and stressed

Post by actualidiot123 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:07 am

Hey all

I'm a kinda-junior in a school well known for physics in the US. I say kinda-junior, I'm shorting the physics and math double major in 3 years for financial reasons. I will be graduating with 2 years of research experience in Nuclear physics, and a lot of math, as well as probably around 5 graduate classes, and could hack out a publication or two if I play my cards right in my current position. That said, my GPA is extremely, extremely poor. I only have a 3.3, that's hardly enough for even honors and I'm very stressed out at this stage for how this is going to affect my chances at grad school, and it's really affecting my mental health as well. I think that, along with improving my GPA the 3 semesters I have left, if I can try and claim that 1.) I am super young, and 2.) my mental health is extremely fucked, that might help me out a little bit in terms of chances, but I don't think it will honestly because these all seem like reasons to not bring me on to a PHD program. Plus, 2 years is not enough, that's nothing, I know that, and frankly it's really stressing me out as well. I have been freaking out for the past few days over this and I don't know what to do at this point. This is all I want in life, this is all I want to do, I have nothing else, my family is a mess, I have no friends and no life outside of physics so if I can't do this then I'm done. I'm a failure I know but like, just tell me how fucked I am all things considered.

geekusprimus

Re: Extremely worried and stressed

Post by geekusprimus » Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:33 am

So, there are a few things you can do.

Grades: If you need all three semesters to get your grades up, you should consider taking a gap year. You've only got one more semester of grades before next year's December applications are due, two before January applications. You might also consider applying to a few master's programs. They're few and far between, but there are a handful of schools with funded master's programs, and it would give you a chance to have a much better GPA appear on your PhD applications.

Mental Health: Graduate school is not easy on your mental health. The statistics for mental health problems in PhD students are not particularly encouraging. I don't have any diagnosed mental health issues, and I definitely nearly fell apart during my first year (COVID didn't help, but it would have been hard without, too). As for helping your health, here's my recommendation: stop defining yourself by physics. You're a person first and a physicist second. Find some hobbies, make some friends, and reach outside your bubble a little bit. I strongly also recommend seeing a licensed professional so that you can get the help you need in dealing with your mental health challenges.

Other Options: There's a lot you can do with a physics degree, especially if you've got research experience and a double major in math. You can always take a couple years off to work, if you'd like, and go back to school later. I have a classmate who spent five years in the finance industry before making his way back into physics. If your grades aren't very good, it can be a nice chance to pad your resumé with some real life experience.

albanostros

Post by albanostros » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:06 pm

How's everything going now ? You doin okay ?

MatijaSever

Post by MatijaSever » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:34 am

actualidiot123 wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:07 am
Hey all

I'm a kinda-junior in a school well known for physics in the US. I say kinda-junior, I'm shorting the physics and math double major in 3 years for financial reasons. I will be graduating with 2 years of research experience in Nuclear physics, and a lot of math, as well as probably around 5 graduate classes, and could hack out a publication or two if I play my cards right in my current position. That said, my GPA is extremely, extremely poor. I only have a 3.3, that's hardly enough for even honors and I'm very stressed out at this stage for how this is going to affect my chances at grad school, and it's really affecting my mental health as well. I think that, along with improving my https://eldfall-chronicles.com/product-category/miniatures/factions/empire-of-soga-factions/ the 3 semesters I have left, if I can try and claim that 1.) I am super young, and 2.) my mental health is extremely fucked, that might help me out a little bit in terms of chances, but I don't think it will honestly because these all seem like reasons to not bring me on to a PHD program. Plus, 2 years is not enough, that's nothing, I know that, and frankly it's really stressing me out as well. I have been freaking out for the past few days over this and I don't know what to do at this point. This is all I want in life, this is all I want to do, I have nothing else, my family is a mess, I have no friends and no life outside of physics so if I can't do this then I'm done. I'm a failure I know but like, just tell me how fucked I am all things considered.

Hi there,

I know it can be hard to consider your options when it feels like your future is on the line, but try not to be too hard on yourself! You have already achieved a lot in your short time at the university and you have a lot of potential. It's understandable to worry about not meeting the "ideal" GPA for grad school, but I encourage you to focus on the other skills and accomplishments you have achieved. Your research experience, publications, and graduate classes are all valuable assets that will help you stand out and give you an edge when applying.

I wish you the best of luck in the future and I hope you can find a way to manage your mental health during this stressful time. Remember that you are not a failure - you are a hardworking and capable individual and you will find success in whatever path you choose.