A little worried and dejected

DrDarth

A little worried and dejected

Post by DrDarth » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:05 pm

I am a sophomore currently in my 3rd semester. I am a 5 years integrated MSc student from India in a top IIT.
In my freshman year, I had a CGPA of 8.96/10. (Don't know how it's converted to 4 point scale). My current semester isn't going too well. I had one C in Engg Mech in my second semester and will get a C in Probability and Stats this semester. I did not realize the importance of grades and being stuck at home due to COVID, I had lost all motivation to study. I always wanted to get into a top 5 US school for Physics PhD.
I know that it's years away but looking at the GPAs on this forum, I feel very dejected. I am confident that I can pull my GPA up to 9.3 ~ 9.4 by by final year but will my poor current Grades put me out of a chance even for a PhD say at MIT. I know this question seems very immature and stupid.
Also can someone estimate my 4 point GPA.

cabzx

Re: A little worried and dejected

Post by cabzx » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:36 am

You need research experience. Try to get an internship at CERN or some other big place like that, and get your name on some publications. Make sure to contribute to the field and have your recommenders say so in their letter.

occamsshaver12

Re: A little worried and dejected

Post by occamsshaver12 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:11 pm

truthchannel wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:58 am
DrDarth wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:05 pm
I am a sophomore currently in my 3rd semester. I am a 5 years integrated MSc student from India in a top IIT.
In my freshman year, I had a CGPA of 8.96/10. (Don't know how it's converted to 4 point scale). My current semester isn't going too well. I had one C in Engg Mech in my second semester and will get a C in Probability and Stats this semester. I did not realize the importance of grades and being stuck at home due to COVID, I had lost all motivation to study. I always wanted to get into a top 5 US school for Physics PhD.
I know that it's years away but looking at the GPAs on this forum, I feel very dejected. I am confident that I can pull my GPA up to 9.3 ~ 9.4 by by final year but will my poor current Grades put me out of a chance even for a PhD say at MIT. I know this question seems very immature and stupid.
Also can someone estimate my 4 point GPA.
Having a C in math class means rejection, end of story.
All your replies are so bitter. Just because you didn't get in anywhere doesn't mean others won't. I have been a grad student for the past 2 and a half years and I have seen plenty of students get into great programs with weak grades. Even in my group, we have a student with no research but great grades and one from an unknown university with okay grades but great research experience, both admitted the same year. Even I didn't have great grades and I have a non Physics background but I got into a great program. So getting admitted depends on a lot of factors, including your maturity.

Also, this is a platform for discussion where people come in to know a way how they can get admitted despite some weakness in their profile, and you just come in here and drop some "truths" with absolutely no credentials to back them. I get this feeling that you are some dude who applied a few times but couldn't get in because your SOP reeked of the bitterness you show here and no advisor wanted to work with you, but instead of working on yourself you try to discourage others from applying. Just stop.