Non-major classes affecting Grad school chances

Ricoma1234

Non-major classes affecting Grad school chances

Post by Ricoma1234 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm

Last edited by Ricoma1234 on Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nishikata

Re: Non-major classes affecting Grad school chances

Post by Nishikata » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:45 pm

It is hard to say. If you are not applying to branches of physics that is related to organic chemistry, it is not so harmful I guess.

It surely lowers your GPA a bit, but that’s about it.
If everything can be solved by simply addressing in a few lines the world would be a much better place. Or worse.

Just move on, who cares about organic chemistry if you don’t apply to work in that field.

ztruwk

Re: Non-major classes affecting Grad school chances

Post by ztruwk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:56 am

No one here will be able to definitively tell you if there's someone who will care about that or not, but I'll say (if you're not doing anything organic chemistry related) that there's a really high probability that no one will care. I'd guess it affects you only as much as it affects your GPA, which in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't. No one will turn down an otherwise qualified applicant because they got a C+ in a class in an unrelated field their freshman year. I got a B- in a Buddhism class my junior year and kind of just said fuckit and went on with my life. I'm not going to let that dictate what I consider possibilities for myself in the future.

This one grade should not affect what schools you choose to apply to, and I would say even mentioning it in your SoP is a waste of space, so stop worrying about it and focus on what you can do to make your application more awesome!