chances for masters program with a 2.9

patrick61

chances for masters program with a 2.9

Post by patrick61 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

Hi,
I wanted to ask about my chances for a masters program with a 2.9 cumulative and 2.6 physics GPA.
I guess I never really cared much about grades up until my last year, where I tried pulling things back up.
I did really like the study itself, but GPA was just a number to me after all. I've graduated from UCLA, and afterwards,started to work in HP as an engineer on a physics related field. But after a half year, now I want to jump back for a masters degree. Assuming I do fairly well on my GRE and maybe another lab experience for 4~5 months, would I have chances at any universities (in the US, Europe or Canada) and if so, what are some programs that I could realistically aim for?

Thanks a lot in advance!

chris314

Re: chances for masters program with a 2.9

Post by chris314 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:13 pm

Since you're familiar with the area, CSULB might be a good option. It has the most funding from the CSU schools and has several strong collaborations with the UC's as well as other national/international schools. It would come down to your research preferences and whether there is a match there. They also have an industry track that you could use your HP connection to fulfill major requirements, it basically replaces your thesis requirement if you prefer the industry route.

Their application deadline is in June I think, and doesn't require a PGRE. If you don't have luck on your first round of applications they are a good fallback after April 15 passes.