Difficult situation regarding not getting MS degree on time

ABernard

Difficult situation regarding not getting MS degree on time

Post by ABernard » Sun May 19, 2019 10:35 pm

Hi!

I’m a current US MS student scheduled to graduate this May but might have to stay for an extra semester to complete my requirements. :cry: I have already accepted a PhD offer for Fall 2019 but by which time I will not have my MS degree yet (I do, however, have a Bachelor’s degree). In my offer letter it only says that “Enrollment and financial aid are contingent upon submission of official transcripts listing all prior undergraduate and graduate coursework and degrees conferred,” without specifying whether they require me to obtain my US physics MS degree. Do you think it means they wouldn’t require me to obtain my MS degree? Or it means that I have to stay for another semester in my current institution and defer my enrollment by a semester or something?

Thanks in advance!! Any input is appreciated!

dankmemes

Re: Difficult situation regarding not getting MS degree on time

Post by dankmemes » Mon May 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Talk to the Ph.D. program about this, they will let you know their requirements. Degree conferred usually means that they expect you to have received the degree in order to matriculate into the Ph.D. program.

ABernard

Re: Difficult situation regarding not getting MS degree on time

Post by ABernard » Mon May 20, 2019 10:20 pm

Thank you very much! I have just checked with the Department today and it turns out they don’t require me to obtain my MS degree but just need to see my official transcripts.