How to know if a school admits student directly to research group or not?

muke

How to know if a school admits student directly to research group or not?

Post by muke » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:50 am

I have read in this forum that some schools like Cornell do not admit students directly to each research group, they just balance the income students in each subfield roughly. However, some schools tend to match students to professors and usually admit students that already have some connections with their prospective advisors.

So how could I know which schools are the former and which schools are the latter? They don't often say those things on their website.

I just have a general interest leaning towards cosmology/gravitation and feel like to determine what to do after getting more knowledge about cosmology/gravitation in grad school, so I would like to apply to more schools that just admit students without matching them. Any idea where can I get those information?

Thanks.

Cho'bal

Re: How to know if a school admits student directly to research group or not?

Post by Cho'bal » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:41 am

Don't schools usually put those info on their websites?

I believe they have sections like "Information for Admitted Students" or "Admitted, What's Next?"

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:01 pm

You can just ask the graduate admissions coordinator (or some similar title) via email. Keep it short, just ask a direct question they can say yes/no to.

muke

Post by muke » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 pm

They do say something about how to find a research professor after matriculation, but I'd like to know whether having no connection with profs in their program would be a damage to my application. So I guess I should just send an email to their admission committee.

Thank you all for replying!