AMO schools for a less than strong candidate?

uvcatastrophe

AMO schools for a less than strong candidate?

Post by uvcatastrophe » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:27 am

I'm a female domestic student interested in AMO, with more of an interest on the optics side of things. I'm aware of many of most of the top programs in this area, but I know I'm not a competitive candidate for those programs and need to widen my net. Some stats which might help: domestic female, like I said before. Overall GPA of 3.4 with a physics GPA of 3.1. One PGRE score of 680, but I'm retaking it this month to try and get that score higher. Two different research experiences, one at my home institution during the summer and a semester's independent study doing optics and spectroscopy work in a quantum information lab, one summer at a national lab as part of a competitive fellowship doing optics stuff again. No publications, but a handful of presentations as symposiums designed to showcase these summer projects.

So, anyone have suggestions for schools I could potentially be a fit for that I should take a look at?

Sats

Re: AMO schools for a less than strong candidate?

Post by Sats » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 pm

You could try U Arizona. You could try between both the Optics and Physics departments, honestly. The AMO labs there do a lot of joint work.