Math physics and string school selection

zasdzcc

Math physics and string school selection

Post by zasdzcc » Thu May 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Undergrad Institution: State U
Major(s): physics and math with minor in economics(2 degrees)
Overall GPA: 3.6
Length of Degree: 5 years
Type of Student: international male

Grad Institution: ranked ~ 40ish in Physics
Overall GPA: 3.6

GRE Scores : old version
Q: 800
V: 730
W: 3.0
P: 970(~90%)
Math subject test: 850(~88%) I will retake it again to make sure it is about 900(~95%)

I do not like my current institution for physics research as I could not align my interest and the department forbids me looking for advisors outside for theoretical work as well. I am getting my master in physics and dropping out of the program in order to reapply for math and physics graduate school.
Research experience: Nothing really significant. I did some medical physics research(~3 years) and biology research as an undergrad. I did some biophysics physics research(1 semester), 1 semester computational research with a math professor, 1 semester research in soft condensed matter experimental group and 1 semester on soft condensed matter theoretical physics.

Coursework: Took several graduate level math courses as a grad and hardcore QFT and string from another top institution. Tons of grad level math courses as an undergrad.

I also self taught my self algebraic topology and algebraic geometry. I am interested in string with algebraic geometry and homological algebra applied and math physics. What is the appropriate tier I should apply? I guess harvard level is basically hopeless.

Catria

Re: Math physics and string school selection

Post by Catria » Thu May 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Rutgers, USC...