School Selection with my stats?

boson20

School Selection with my stats?

Post by boson20 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:42 pm

I am wondering about any schools that I should apply to that are reasonable for me to get into. Hoping to get some advice. I will be applying for AMO experiment.

Background: Physics major, math minor.

University: Top 40 in US. Domestic student.

GPA: 3.7/4.0. Lowest grade is B+. 3.76 major GPA, 3.90 GPA in grad courses in physics and math.

GRE: Q: 156 V:157: W: 4.0

Physics GRE: 750

Research Experience: Four years in CME lab, two years in stat mech/CMT, two months now in AMO experiment.

Publications/presentations: 4 presentations, 1 paper submitted for publication, 1 being finished up currently im trying to have submitted.

Teaching: Was a TA for physics course for a semester.

Other: I've taken a few grad classes, one in applied math. Grad E&M, grad lab class, and currently taking grad stat mech. 3.90 grad GPA.

Special Bonus Points: I am currently doing research in AMO physics at a neighboring top 10 university, and my advisor there is writing a letter for me to continue to work for him there.

Schools:
Harvard
UC Berkeley
MIT
UCLA
UC Boulder
NYU

Do I even have a chance at some of these top places?

Thanks!

PathIntegrals92

Re: School Selection with my stats?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:14 am

You should look at the previous applicant profiles. Even though it is not a representation of all the applicants applying , it will give you some idea.

I heard that MIT is one of those places that have unofficial cut offs at 800 for physics

Idk anything about NYU to be honest. I think you should have more matches, because the ones you have are reaches ( idk about NYU). I don't know much about AMO, but I do know that University of Rochester is pretty good for that field. Also University of Arizona. You also don't have UMD-College Park on your list...

Other than your test scores ( both general and physics) you have a pretty strong profile.

tsymmetry

Re: School Selection with my stats?

Post by tsymmetry » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:31 pm

I think your strong research record will definitely help you overcome your PGRE at most schools (except MIT and Princeton from my observations). I would add UChicago since they are putting a lot of money into AMO right now as well as Stanford. You should ask your recommenders about your list. I think good way to get a sense of how good of a recommendation they will write is the schools they suggest you apply to.