How to get admitted in a good school

Salamino

How to get admitted in a good school

Post by Salamino » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Hi guys,
I want from you an analysis for my situation, because after years of lethargy I wake up and decided to change my situation.
I'm an undergraudate student in physics at an italian university. I have to begin my third year.
Before beginning the university, I'm sure that I was between the top 100 students of my year in physics(I did well physics contents and examinations test in top schools here). I also get admitted in a very good excellence school(such as the ENS of Paris), when we do extra courses, seminars, etc...
But when I began university, suddenly all my interest for studying evaporated. For the first year I could save myself for the very good preparation and problem solving skills that I got from my pre-university (self)studing. Same thing, after cramming and cramming, for my second year. For my bad study method, and motivation in the university, I couldn't get the highest scores in my tests(but for this year I think that I'll review all). I have an average of 28/30 points. Converting in the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) from my university this is only a B/C!
And it is a problem from me, I Love Physics, because in this summer searching on the internet I found that to get admitted in a good, maybe TOP because I want the top, school for a Phd it's a must have all A!
Before this I thought that there were only some (hard)tests to do+ an English certification+presentation letters.
Here we do 3 years of undergraduate studies for the Bachelor's degree+ 2years for Masters degree.
I'm pointing to be the first in my class for this year and for the 2 years for the master. So, I'll point to get all A's.
I think that I'll do one or maybe two research projects (possibly in a very good institution)and I'm sure that I'll get good recomendation letters and do well in GRE TESTS(at least for physics :)
If I'll succeed in this, do you think that I'll have maybe a little chance to get admitted? Do you think that there's some possibility also for a man that neglected his duties?
Thank you,

Salamino

Re: How to get admitted in a good school

Post by Salamino » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:05 pm

No one guys? I think that the answer is yes, but I want to get from you some advices.

Catria

Re: How to get admitted in a good school

Post by Catria » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:43 pm

There is also the question of getting research experience. If you can successfully get something done in the lab, then the admissions committees will overlook the poor first year.