List of REAL Master's programs?

foreveroller2000

List of REAL Master's programs?

Post by foreveroller2000 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find a list of schools that offer Master's programs in physics. A lot of top schools are listed as giving Master's degrees, but only award them to Ph.D students - the school doesn't accept (or "rarely accepts") applications for Master's students. Which schools offer admission to both masters and doctoral students?

Thanks

Minovsky

Re: List of REAL Master's programs?

Post by Minovsky » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 am

Try http://www.gradschoolshopper.com/. The California State University system (CSU system, not to be confused with the University of California UC system) has schools which offer M.S. as their highest degree. Is there a reason why you don't want a PhD?

foreveroller2000

Post by foreveroller2000 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks! I do want a Ph.D, but I'm was also considering doing a master's first, as my undergrad grades are probably going to keep me out of top programs. But after more consideration, this doesn't sound like such a good idea for me anymore. I'm still pretty interested in doing a master's in the UK though if the opportunity arises.

TheBeast

Post by TheBeast » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:19 pm

foreveroller2000 wrote:I'm still pretty interested in doing a master's in the UK though if the opportunity arises.
Most physics stand-alone master's programs (i.e. not tacked on to a bachelor's degree) in the UK are 1 year in duration. This means that you'll be starting the program roughly at the same time you'll be starting applications for your PhD. Thus, you won't be able to talk about the research you're working on for your Master's and your UK letter writers will not have known you that long.

Keep in mind that some schools don't offer stand-alone physics MPhils (Oxford, for example) and that for those that do, the cost is somewhat ludicrous for non-UK/EU students.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:09 am

Keep in mind that going to a top school, while important, isn't a requirement for a successful career in physics. The vast majority of R1 research professors come from top schools, but there's also a strong selection bias in admissions--the students who excel anyway tend to choose top 10 schools. The same opportunities are available in the second tier*, and it's probably not worth it to anyone to forgo a PhD for a year (really 2, since you need time to apply) unless they're having trouble getting into simply respectable programs (say top 50, though there are pockets of excellence in lower ranked schools).

To use myself as an example: I turned down a top 15 to attend UC Davis (a top 30 school). But by the time I pass my qualifiers and am ready for research full-time, I'll be working as closely with professors at Berkeley, Chicago, and CalTech as I would have if I actually had gone to those schools. And the adviser I have at UC Davis is well-known in the field anyway, so it's all a bit difficult to quantify. And going to UC Davis has other advantages--I got to start this summer, for instance, and the faculty is friendlier and more available (since there are fewer students).

*The way I think of it is this: put 3 second tier schools together, and the faculty would rival any school in the country. And since there are generally one to several subfields a second tier school excels in, once you choose an adviser (in a particular subfield) the lack of breadth in faculty hardly matters anymore. So if you're very deliberate in choosing which of those 3 you apply to (weighing your interests, and the interests of the faculty in you), it would hardly matter. Of course, if you have no idea what you want to do, this doesn't work as well...

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:30 pm

These schools all have a well respected physics program and offer funded Master's programs:
- South Central Louisiana State University
- Faber College
- South Harmon Institute of Technology
- Adams College
- Port Chester University
- Coolidge College
- Grand Lakes University
- Pacific Tech

TheBeast

Post by TheBeast » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:44 pm

You forgot Barnett College and Marshall College.

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:24 pm

TheBeast wrote:You forgot Barnett College and Marshall College.
Yes, and a friend pointed out that I also forgot Quendelton State University. All of these really are great institutions.