What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

ali8

What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Post by ali8 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello,

When I search for a school, say GaTech Science, in Times Higher Education, I found it to be #50.
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... erse_false

When I look at US News Physics rankings, I found GaTech to be # 30.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+2

This question isn't about GaTech specifically, rather I just want to know which ranking do you refer
to when talking about top 20, top 50, top 100 etc..

-Ali

TheBeast

Re: What school ranking do you use? THE or US NEWS ??

Post by TheBeast » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:14 pm

I want to avoid discussing the validity of rankings, but you do know that the THE link that you provided ranks GATech 50th in the world as opposed to the US News list which ranks it 30th in the US. There's also the fact that the THE ranking is for the more general physical sciences as opposed to the US News link that you provided which is just for physics.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:14 pm

We are technically referring to the US News ranking, but not because they're especially good; they just provide a general mark of stature. We really mean a general idea of quality (top 10-very best, top 20-very good, top 50-respectable, top 100-competent). Schools falling inside or outside a range on USN rankings might be considered to actually be in a different category (for instance, Columbia and NYU are probably underrated by USNews for how hard they are to get in to). After the first 10 or so on the list, we might be referring to the top schools in a given subdiscipline (like central michigan for nuclear physics).

midwestphysics

Post by midwestphysics » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:18 pm

bfollinprm wrote:After the first 10 or so on the list, we might be referring to the top schools in a given subdiscipline (like central michigan for nuclear physics).
I think you mean MSU not Central :lol: . In any case Ali8, if you hadn't noticed on the USNEWS site you can see the top 10 ranking by specialty which is sometimes considerably different. If you know what you want to do that might be a place to gauge where to start looking.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:10 pm

ali8 wrote:This question isn't about GaTech specifically, rather I just want to know which ranking do you refer

-Ali
Top 10 - Schools that have something I am specifically interested in, people who support my own personal future, and that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 20 - Schools that have people who support my personal future and are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 50 - Schools that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 100 - All other ranking systems.

This is the ranking I use.

-Riley

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 am

midwestphysics wrote:
bfollinprm wrote:After the first 10 or so on the list, we might be referring to the top schools in a given subdiscipline (like central michigan for nuclear physics).
I think you mean MSU not Central :lol:
Very true, my bad (not my discipline, which doesn't have any good examples of this).

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
ali8 wrote:This question isn't about GaTech specifically, rather I just want to know which ranking do you refer

-Ali
Top 10 - Schools that have something I am specifically interested in, people who support my own personal future, and that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in and lots of fly honeys nearby with an excuse to see them in bathing suits (i.e. nearby water park or beach).
Top 20 - Schools that have people who support my personal future and are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 50 - Schools that are in an area I would be comfortable and enjoy living in.
Top 100 - All other ranking systems.

This is the ranking I use.

-Riley
Fixed.

Dorian_Mode

Post by Dorian_Mode » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:32 am

I use NRC because it makes my school look much better.

ali8

Post by ali8 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

Thank you all!

That was really great help, thanks again :)