Columbia Physics anyone?

darkmav

Columbia Physics anyone?

Post by darkmav » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:51 am

Hi,

I'm just wondering...has Columbia sent all their acceptances for admission to the Physics PhD program in Fall 2010?

I haven't heard a thing, and my online application status was updated around February 26. It said "Status: COMPLETE. At Department: YES". I'm not sure if I should email them. Does anyone here know what the status could possibly mean?

Are they likely to send any more acceptances now? :|

Thanks!

kroner

Re: Columbia Physics anyone?

Post by kroner » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:11 am

The status probably means that the application has been given to the physics admissions committee to review, so that doesn't really tell you much except that your stuff is in order.

According to http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php ... s+columbia a bunch of acceptances went out Feb 18-23 and no rejections posted so far, so if you haven't heard anything you're probably rejected or wait listed until they hear back from some people. I wouldn't rule out them sending some more acceptances, but based on last year's results it might not be very many.

bosonic

Post by bosonic » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:35 am

darkmav wrote: I haven't heard a thing, and my online application status was updated around February 26. It said "Status: COMPLETE. At Department: YES". I'm not sure if I should email them. Does anyone here know what the status could possibly mean?
The same thing has happened to me and I emailed them around a week ago asking if my applications was only forwarded to the department on late February. They responded saying that my application with all the folders was received by the Physics Department from the GSAS Admissions Department in January and reviewed on time. So, there is probably no reason to worry about this.

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:42 am

bosonic, have they sent you a decision or are you still waiting, like me?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this school..its my top choice right now. Wish you best of luck too if you're waiting!

I was worried only because they updated my status a week after the first round of acceptances seemed to have been sent.

bosonic

Post by bosonic » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 am

I'm still waiting too. But they told me that most decisions had been made so I guess (and hope) they will inform us of those decisions shortly =P

Good luck to you too!

YellowXDart

Post by YellowXDart » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:09 pm

I applied to Columbia last year and they never bothered to send me a rejection either by email or post

quark314

Post by quark314 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:18 pm

I emailed them on Feb 23 (a tuesday), and they told me at that point they had made about 2/3 of their offers and the remaining third would be out by that Friday. BUT no more acceptances from Columbia showed up here or on grad cafe since then, so I suppose it's possible that last 1/3 hasn't gone out yet for some reason. But I wouldn't count on it.

They said rejections would be sent by email starting in mid-march.

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:13 pm

Another week about to end and no word from Columbia. In fact I haven't heard from Maryland either. :(

Anyway based on what you're telling me, its possible that some of those who did receive acceptances in the 'second round' did not post them on gradcafe.

quark314

Post by quark314 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:04 am

Yeah. I mean, I find it a little surprising that no one from an entire third of the admitted class posts on gradcafe, but still definitely possible. Also possible that the person I emailed overestimated how many they had left to send out. Anyway, I too still haven't heard anything from Columbia (or UPenn, for that matter...).
Basically, on my list of schools, I've put Columbia in the "implicitly rejected" column until further notice.

delton

Post by delton » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 pm

yeah,

I am really tempted to email them, but I don't see any point.

Right now I'm waiting on Columbia, Maryland, UPenn and Penn State.

I'm surprised no one has heard from Maryland because:
1. The lady told me they'd be done by the end of last week.
2. Someone I know said they called and heard the same thing.
3. People emailed her and got the same message.

Eh well. Maybe they accepted a ton of internationals who aren't on this forum.

bosonic

Post by bosonic » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:03 pm

delton wrote:Eh well. Maybe they accepted a ton of internationals who aren't on this forum.

I was admitted at UMD exactly a week ago and I am international. Still waiting on Columbia and UPenn though.

bosonic

Post by bosonic » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:16 pm

rejected from Columbia today. Got an email asking to check my application status :(

matonski

Post by matonski » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Me too. Got a rejection from Columbia and Caltech within 20 minutes of each other

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:00 am

matonski wrote:Me too. Got a rejection from Columbia and Caltech within 20 minutes of each other
Same here. I'm putting UMD in the implicitly rejected list now. I haven't heard from UIUC either, which should probably also go into the same "list".

quark314

Post by quark314 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Me too. Now I'm only waiting on UPenn.

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 pm

delton wrote:yeah,

I am really tempted to email them, but I don't see any point.

Right now I'm waiting on Columbia, Maryland, UPenn and Penn State.

I'm surprised no one has heard from Maryland because:
1. The lady told me they'd be done by the end of last week.
2. Someone I know said they called and heard the same thing.
3. People emailed her and got the same message.

Eh well. Maybe they accepted a ton of internationals who aren't on this forum.
Delton, when did you call Maryland? I sent them an email on Thursday and I am yet to receive a response. And what's the deal with UIUC? They didn't respond either. According to gradcafe, they've already sent acceptances to everyone. So either we're rejected (and they will send rejections in April or March end) or we're wait-listed.

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:44 am

Have any of you heard from University of Maryland College Park in the last week or so? I am still waiting for a decision from them. Does anyone have any new information?

rdutta

Post by rdutta » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:38 pm

darkmav wrote:Have any of you heard from University of Maryland College Park in the last week or so? I am still waiting for a decision from them. Does anyone have any new information?
I haven't heard anything either, still waiting for their decision. I'm thinking of calling up the dept office soon.

darkmav

Post by darkmav » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Ok, do let me know what they say. I assume there will be no development over the weekend.

EDIT (Sunday, March 21): Maryland is yet to reply back to me. If any of you are still waiting and happen to know the reason why, please do let us all know. I sent the graduate secretary an email over 10 days ago, and have not yet received a response. I won't be sending any more emails though. I just want to know what the decision is, officially.

By the way, is there anyone here who is waiting for UIUC too??