PhD in Mathematical Physics.

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:37 pm

PhD in Mathematical Physics.

Post by AronAH » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:06 pm


I'm a undergraduate student in the last year of my Physics B.Sc. I've done a lot of Mathematics in a program at Ecole Polytechnique in France (Master 1 in Physics, european system). I would like to do my PhD in Mathematical Physics, I've studied some Statistical Mechanics and Exactly solvable systems, but I would like a program with others possibilites too. I heard that Princeton and Stony Brooks are good places to research in Mathematical Physics apart of those I have no other indications in America. My background is a little mixed since I did a program for double graduation in Brazil and in France.

If you have any recomendations I would be very glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance,


Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:24 am

Re: PhD in Mathematical Physics.

Post by pqortic » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't know with those many hints how you couldn't find the proper place for your question and still interested to study Mathematical Physics!

Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 am

Re: PhD in Mathematical Physics.

Post by schwiss » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:12 pm

I don't know if you wanted only American universities to consider, but I am under the impression that Cambride University in England is really good when it comes to mathematical physics. Oxford is probably not that much behind. However, getting funding might be tricky, though not impossible, if you have been educated outside of UK. You can achieve PhD faster in UK if that's an issue. I think three years is some kind of average there. This means you get involved with research earlier than in the States.

User avatar
Posts: 2296
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: PhD in Mathematical Physics.

Post by grae313 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:19 pm

That's because the average entering student already has the equivalent of a US master's degree... just keep that in mind, they assume you already have had the courses that US students typically take in their first year or two.

Post Reply